Left Handed vs Right Handed

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by AKtroll, Nov 16, 2011.

1. AKtroll

AKtroll Rookie

As I understand it the main difference between a left hand foil and a right hand is the bend?

is this correct and is it possible to change.
    my daughter's club has one right hand foil and lots of left hand. however the vast majority of fencers are right handed.

As always any advice you all can give me is greatly appreciated.

2. brtech

brtech Podium

No. The difference is the handle. The handle comes in left and right hand versions.

Swapping handles is pretty easy. You have to be careful with the wire, making sure it's in the notch in the handle.

3. jkormann

jkormann Podium

br, What about the tang-set?

4. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Tang set is a matter of personal choice - some people like to cant the tang so as to move the point inward and down, others do not.

While vendors sometimes sell blades with a downward cant they generally don't cant them to one side or the other prior to sale.

5. fdad

fdad Podium

I am going out on a limb here, and assuming that in Alaska there might be a few French grips in use.

6. migopod

migopod Podium

In any event unless you're using the LP ambidextrous handles even French grips are right handed or left handed.

7. Mergs

Mergs Podium

WRT the cant of the blade, yes there is a difference between right and left handedness. And yes, you can change it - but you have to be very careful when doing it because of the tempering of the blade and tang. Do a search on the forum for cant or tang bending for discussions on this ad naseum. Good luck - PM for more info or answers to any other questions you may have.