Lame Material

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Roset828, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Roset828

Roset828 Rookie

I'm a fairly new fencer looking to buy my first lame. Is it worth the few extra dollars for a nickle plated lame? Will copper last long enough? Should I go for stainless? All I know is that the silver lames are out of my price range for now. Any help thanks.

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Mithril is the way to go. ;)

But seriously, it depends on where you are in your fencing, how much you sweat, where you are located ( eg humidity levels ) and how much you will use the lamé. Copper is cheapest and will last you quite a while in practice but will probably not give you more than a few months of passing inspection for competitions, assuming you practice a few times a week. Stainless or nonmetallic is probably the best compromise between cost and durability. My Uhlmanns last many years because I only use them for competitions and burn through cheap copper lamés for practice, occasionally moving my competition one to practice when it fails at an event. Never used a nickel or fabric lamé except for an Infinity which was a creature unto itself and is no longer made.

jpj likes this.
  3. Roset828

Roset828 Rookie

I don't sweat a lot, but I do fence frequently and I want my equipment to last a long time. I'll look into getting stainless then.

4. bobb121

bobb121 DE Bracket

also something to note is the metal content. Part of the reason that the shiny silver lame's cost so much is the metal content. If you look at a Leon Paul Lame you will notice that it states 45% Nickel. An Allstar is 20% steel.

5. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

Nickel lasts longer than stainless. LP and FWF make very good ones. Triplette makes one too, but it's not as nice. You can get a really good deal on old Ballestra ones, which are almost as cheap as the copper ones. BG's nickel lame is just nickel coated copper. I wouldn't recommend it.

Second longest, in my experience, are ultralight lames. But when they fail it's a pretty complete failure. They're more comfortable than nickel lames, but also more expensive. LP, Alstar, and Edge (from BG) make them.

Stainless Steel last about the same as ultralight lames. They're not a bad option.

I avoid copper lames. The failure rates and staining drive me nuts.

6. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Rinse after every use to extend useful life.

7. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

And don't forget to hang dry after each rinse! :)

8. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Transport the lame on the same plastic hanger upon which it's dried.