Knee brace recommendations

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by nwtrout, Aug 15, 2018.

1. nwtrout

nwtrout Made the Cut

I'm a right handed, epee fencer, Vet50. I recently suffered & confirmed via MRI a sub-acute tear to my ACL along with some meniscus & cartilage damage on my back leg. I have a surgery consult set for tomorrow 8/16.

In 2014, I had hyperextension injury to the same knee. No MRI was done, but pain and laxity in the knee were similar but less to what I'm experiencing now and was ruled a sprain.

Following a little over 1.5 months of rest & rehab (no surgery), I returned to fencing with various braces - including a larger & heavier version of this one:

It did its job well for most of the 2014-2105 season. I slowly switched to lighter, smaller ones and then to neoprene compression sleeve as the knee improved.

Depending on surgery consult tomorrow, I'm interested in what knee braces others have used in competition that they felt provided good support, appropriate movement and balanced with overall weight.

2. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I really strained my forward knee and the physical therapists recommended I use the following brace. Fortunately, I didn't tear anything.

Overall, it took about 9 months of rehab, etc to get the knee to where I feel comfortable enough to do a lot of aggressive lunging and fleching. I'm a slow healer, so your time table for getting back to normal may be different.

One thing I can suggest is that you immediately ice your knees after you finish fencing. I'm using the following gel packs. The best thing about it is that it's flexible and I can walk around with it on. When I'm rushed for time, I can just hop into the car and go. I use the sleeves for both my knee and elbow.

The only real negatives is that the gel packs need to be put into a freezer compartment to get cold and the it's only good for about 10 to 15 minutes.

3. posineg

posineg Made the Cut

I have been suffering from a old high school knee injury for years. Tried many braces from simple to complex. After the 5th hyper-extension I purchased a used professional brace from Ebay... https://www.breg.com/products/knee-bracing/functional-ligament/fusion-knee-brace/

Smooth action, snug-secure fit and comfortable feel. The original price for these are high but I found the used item under $90.

Because the item is made out of steel, there will be little to no deterioration of the fit over time. Neoprene braces will stretch and the brackets will no longer articulate as planned, potentially causing damage due to false security. I would recommend finding a used pro-brace. There are many out there that were just used for rehab/post op.

4. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

After tearing my ACL, my orthopedist advised that with- or without-surgery, I'd have an arthritic knee in 20 years. After 15 years using a DonJoy aluminum brace, I tore my menisci, which healed. Four years using an Ossur CTi OTS carbon-fiber brace no arthritis. I've been waiting for the Boston Children's Hospital's arthroscopic ACL repair to be approved for adults with aged tears.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    abouttothunder likes this.
  5. nwtrout

nwtrout Made the Cut

Thanks for the input and feedback on braces and gel packs.

My consult (doc was member of the docs/trainers supporting past USTF Olympic teams.) ended with starting with 3 weeks of PT then re-evaluate. If it goes well the PT will continue, if not, the PT will be helpful leading into surgery.

Their recommendation is a Don Joy brace - either Full Force or Armor. DEC NAC not looking to promising.

6. Mac A. Bee

My PT said harder and faster would lead to quicker recovery. I returned to the strip six weeks later. Don Joy is allowed under knickers. When I faced a Russian competitor with one, we pointed and laughed.

nwtrout likes this.
  7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I used a Donjoy hinged knee brace for many years, on my back knee ( meniscus injury/surgery ). It helped greatly keeping the knee stable and mitigating pain during and after fencing.

About a year and a half ago, I noticed that my knee was hurting worse during and after fencing despite the brace. So I quit wearing the brace...and the knee quit hurting. Apparently at some point the damned thing got stronger or healed up on its own and the brace started working against it instead of supporting it.

8. Mac A. Bee

Thinking similarly, I switched to a McDavid condyle neoprene, tore my minisci, switched to Ossur.

9. Privateer

Privateer Podium

i wore an Ossur CTi OTS after I tore acl/meniscus playing soccer many years ago. I mostly wore it for contact sports before I fenced. Wore it for a while when I started fencing, but about 4 years ago stopped wearing it. I only wear it now when my thighs start feeling fatigued or if I'm sore from previous activity.

I highly recommend the brand, but a good orthopedist or orthotic/prosthetic practitioner can recommend the right brace for the right activity. The brace i wore was built for contact sports and probably a bit robust for fencing. Again, talk to your doctor.

10. Mac A. Bee

Orthopedist prescribed DonJoy. I switched to McDavid which led to menisci tears. Ex-footballer Orthopedic PA prescribed Ossur.

Privateer likes this.