Keeping the Bib down for a mask...

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by BCC100, Jan 2, 2019.

1. BCC100

BCC100 Rookie

Happy new year first of all, and 2019 will bring you all that you desire. :)

My son has an old mask (low quality beginner mask 350N) that he has been using for the past three years. We recently upgraded that to a LP Xchange mask due to one incident, where during a bout, the opponent fencer's sword slipped thru the Bib and hit his neck. Luckily, there was no blood or big scratch but still, it scared the santa-claus outta of me.

The Bib on that mask is curling up a bit instead of staying down and close to the lame when he wears it, for all reasons on earth I tried to get him to recycle the mask and let it go. But he keeps on saying there are sentimental values and keeps on using it during training while getting use to his new LP mask.

Is there a way to keep the bib material straight like it was designed to do or should I secretly put it into storage and tell my son that grinch stole it?

2. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

If a mask is not serving its intended purpose (safety) then is should be stored in a suitable container - such as a trash dumpster.

ReadyFence and InFerrumVeritas like this.
  3. BCC100

BCC100 Rookie

off it goes :) too bad there's no way to recycle these things...

4. jkormann

jkormann Podium

As the parent of two boys, I'd suggest explaining why it's unsafe and letting him have a hand in tossing it.
    To prevent "accidental" reuse, it's best to crush masks. At our clubs, we typically have a "crush event" where everyone takes a turn standing or jumping on the mask until it's flat / unusable.

BCC100 likes this.
  5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Geez, folks, it's just the bib jutting out, not a hole in the mesh. Do you burn your shirts every time they lose a button?

Probably it does that because of the way he stores it, either in his bag or sitting on a surface "face up". The answer is to store it so that the bib gets pressure pushing it back into the proper position. And don't take it off and put it on by grabbing the bottom edge of the bib.

Fold the bib back into the mask and leave it a day or so. If its the very edge curling put some spring clamps, bulldog clips or even binder clips on it and leave it to reform into the proper position. If it's really stubborn try steaming it with a vaporizer or even with hot water in a shower. If it takes a set jutting out, it can take a set back into the proper configuration.

BCC100 and InFerrumVeritas like this.
  6. BCC100

BCC100 Rookie

It went into the trash bin, and my son and I didn’t have a chance to jump on it! Darn it, next time. That sounds like a fun exercise. I felt bad throwing out a large piece like this without any option of recycling...

On the other hand, it’s a common problem in my local clubs that kids were taught to put the masks face up, similar to what inquartata said while waiting for their turn to bout during a class. I can see their masks all starts to show some sign of curling up thru out the years. With an xchange mask, at least we can swap out the bib or exchange the tubes, with other masks it’s difficult... What’s the best way to put your mask while waiting for your turn?

7. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

On its side.

BCC100 likes this.
  8. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Or if you duck your head like I do...happens to all my mask bibs eventually.

9. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

You can put it on by holding it by the lower edge of the bib, as that bends it in the "right" direction. Taking it off that way, gravity pulls the bib the wrong way. I grab it by the back edge of the top of the mask or the tongue myself. I lay it on the ground or table on its side.

Xchanges don't seem to have this issue as much, since there is less bib and they are stiffer as a consequence. If they do start to pooch out you can just bend them back pretty easily.

10. brtech

brtech Podium

With the new design, undo the strap!

The change to the mask strap is INTENDED to make it much harder for the mask to come off when you don't want it to. If there is a way that it comes off easily, the design fails. I don't think there is a way to make it come off easily when you want it to, but not when you don't want it to if the mask fits and the strap is adjusted the way it's supposed to be. The new strap should not allow you to lift the mask up the way the current one does.

Grey Sabreur likes this.
  11. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I haven't tried on a mask with the new strap configuration yet, but I expect that they are probably not very glasses-friendly. The current masks are difficult enough to don and doff when wearing glasses as it is, these can only be a nightmare in that regard.

12. brtech

brtech Podium

Same answer, undo the strap. Then it's easy to take off.

13. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I have a LP-X with the new strap setup. Goes on the same, just stays much tighter. Use the Ice-padding, not the "face hugger of death" padding.

14. brtech

brtech Podium

With the strap snug, can you lift the bib to horizontal and have the mask stay on reasonably well?

15. BCC100

BCC100 Rookie

whats the "face hugger of death" padding? Traditional or Air?

The strap is only a secondary protection right? The primary mechanism is still the disc at the back or the metal stick at the back, I see most fencers wear the strap quite loosely so they can snap it on easier.

Although the Mask which had this issue is gone, I'm going to experiment on one of the class mate's bib to see if we can straighten it back.