JAN NAC Virginia Beach

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by nwtrout, Jan 2, 2018.

1. teacup

teacup Podium

If booking the referees and other tournament staff on United (Star Alliance) was a consideration in choosing venues, then wouldn't Denver, Newark, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, DC, San Francisco and Los Angeles be great locations for national events? :)

On another note, I wonder how much USA Fencing's revenue for Virginia Beach will be affected due to cancelled rooms with group housing, flight change fees for personnel, event fee refunds, etc?

SabreCA likes this.
  2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Face it, refs, you are in the same boat with the competitors. When it comes to the selection of NAC locations your welfare, convenience and efficiency is no more important than ours. Even if the organization does pay your travel and lodging.

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Don't forget amorers, BC, etc...

4. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Yes - and by that reasoning NOTHING should be scheduled in Miami from June 1st through November 30th.

5. neevel

neevel Armorer

I think we're going at this all wrong. We should be pushing to get transporters invented. That way, everyone would be only minutes away from the venue and would never have to burn vacation days to travel or be affected by winter storms or thunderstorms over hub airports, and have to worry about the cost of hotel rooms or their booking having been lost. It'd be perfect (until an ill-timed ion storm causes someone to spend 10 minutes in the agonizer booth for a failed epee shim at the mirror-universe NAC).

6. monitorlizerd

monitorlizerd DE Bracket

I think that's quite appropriate.
    Or for trying to get their practice lame/ favorite glove to pass through gear check. (But it passed at the Last NAC!)

7. nwtrout

nwtrout Made the Cut

Back to the PacNW after a 6:15 AM Flight and one stop in Chicago. In the office by 12:30PM. Put this in a NAC perspective and many East Coast fencers 'could' travel the same day as their competition if they get a direct flight and a 1PM event check-in time. No way that could be said going West to East.

A couple of other random reflections on the NAC:
    • Weather happens. You can't completely avoid it but it can clearly be taken into account when planning
    • Southwest offers in-air wifi for free with their app - which does ZERO if you've already boarded in Seattle and find your connection in MDW to ORF is cancelled while you pull away from the gate because the ticket is already in use and you have to talk to an agent directly to rebook.
    • The SW agent at Midway did a good job (with a bit of prodding) to get us to RIC the next day for a drive to VB
    • ExtendedStay America by Midway may have bedbugs (booked last minute thanks to ORF closing Thursday)
    • VBeach is a great spring and summer destination. Look at a map and all those waterfront hotels. Rates were great in January but very little was open around them - including walking distance food places. Less than ideal
    • JME on Monday (and all Monday events) were set to start at 8AM. Many were flighted. Then add in a computer glitch that dumped/deleted the JME entirely, resulting in Christie Simmons and the BC doing their best to manually recheck-in all 200+ fencers (originally 260+ registered, around 60 no-shows). Great work and effort to get the glitch addressed going old school!
    • Nearly everyone at the event had a travel story. A common one was getting close to VB and then driving, Uber, car-pooling in. By the way - RIC to VB Uber runs about $110-130 depending on surge rates.
    • A number of collegiate fencers bailed mid-travel and ended up just heading back to campus.
    • Regional Level Airport - in addition to very few directs to airports west of the Mississippi, it always means basically ZERO evening flights. Div1ME Day 2 started at 3PM on Saturday. Meaning just about everyone could count on another hotel night. Similar JME on Monday. Those going deep - even with the 8AM scheduled start - are looking at another hotel night. Not great for those college fencers starting back this week to potentially miss another day of school.

With all that said - the refs and other US Fencing folks I spoke with put on their best face and best effort to make the most of it. People were upset, disappointed but generally stayed upbeat - even a very tall ref whose bag somehow ended up in customs in ATL.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. dcchew

dcchew Podium

For those people who have a hand in running the NACs (referees, bout committee, armorers, etc), this has been a rough season so far with what has happened at the October Anaheim NAC and the January Virginia Beach NAC,

In many sports, most people who have thrown up their hands and given up early in the game. The people in fencing are a different lot. Over the years, fencers have always found a way to get a competition up and running. Everyone should be thankful for that.

There are no easy answers to many of the issues that USA Fencing faces in organizing the NACs. Not everyone will be happy. So for the moment, try and be satisfied that we have quality fencing tournaments in the US. I've be around long enough to remember when there was nothing.

ktinoue3 likes this.
  9. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

Or better yet it passed at the world cup.

10. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Oooh, oooh, oooh! I've had that one!

11. monitorlizerd

monitorlizerd DE Bracket

I had one of the fencers from a club I work with try to get me to check his very obviously practice lame. He hadn't even looked at me when he walked up and laid the lame down, so he didnt know it was me.
    I said "It failed last week at the competiion, and I'm not going to pass it now. Why are you wasting my time?"
    His head shot up and his eyes got big, and he turned several shades of red. Said "Sorry".
    He said not one more word as I checked the rest of the stuff, including his new lame.

ktinoue3 likes this.
  12. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

That was beautiful.....

13. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

I failed a too-small lame on-strip. A week later the fencer reported with the same lame. When I again failed it, his coach exploded.

14. Zebra

Zebra Podium

We'd get the same response if we were to enforce the jacket/knickers overlap to the letter.
    I wouldn't mind it if BC were to e-mail all the fencers before the tournament with an alert that the rule will be enforced, and that fencers are responsible for checking their own uniform before they arrive at the tournament.

15. oldfencer

oldfencer Rookie

Did the fencer miraculously have a spare larger, legal size lame in their bag that they eventually switched to after you failed the small one?

16. Peach

Peach Podium

To be fair, I've had things pass one competition (including Veteran Worlds) only to fail at the next without having been used in the interim.

hello? likes this.
  17. neevel

neevel Armorer

In most "it passed last time" situations, the item in question was probably over the allowed limit anyway, but the 'tolerance' of the person doing control was higher than the person doing the current check (i.e., one person will let a lame slide if it's at 10 Ohms, while another will only let it slide if it's under 8 Ohms, with 5 Ohms being the rules limit). I try to indicate to folks when I'm passing something 'on tolerance', so they know that there's no guarantee of it passing the next time someone inspects it. I know that rubs some people's sensibilities the wrong way, but it's the way the world works to a very large extent (would you really want traffic cameras on every block of every street sending you a ticket every time you were 1 mph over the posted limit?).

Internationally, there's also the fact that some countries just don't have as well-developed a cadre of armory people as the US does (and a local culture of doing equipment control at tournaments), and so don't have the resources to do a thorough control.

18. Zebra

Zebra Podium

That goes for epee wiring too. There are times I'll pass a weapon where the wire is just extending past the body of the socket and let the fencer know that they should adjust the wire in case they run into a ref who's very strict.

19. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Used teammate's - though I've seen what you described.

20. Peach

Peach Podium

Oh, I take your point, though honestly at Vet Worlds they've usually been a lot pickier than at home. Usually, though, when it happens to me, it's a trainee armorer the second time, nervously keeping an eye on every fluctuation and trying to catch any possible problems . . . or the time another trainee armorer somehow had the settings wrong and failed everything until I politely asked for a second check :)