JAN NAC Virginia Beach

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by nwtrout, Jan 2, 2018.

1. nwtrout

nwtrout Made the Cut

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. Rollhigher

Rollhigher Rookie

This will certainly impact those flying or driving in for Friday events. There may not be a snowplow within 50 miles of Virginia Beach.

3. nwtrout

nwtrout Made the Cut

So looking forward to flying into this thing come Thursday.

Salient text:

"The National Weather Service office serving northeast Florida and southeast Georgia cautions that a nasty mix of light freezing rain, light sleet and light snow is expected to develop Wednesday “with significant icing possible.”

In Charleston, one to three inches of snow and sleet is forecast Wednesday, where the Weather Service warns to “plan on difficult travel conditions.”

From Norfolk to the Maryland and Delaware beaches, including much of the southern half of the Delmarva Peninsula, 3 to 6 inches of heavy snow are predicted from Wednesday evening to Thursday afternoon."

and

" By the time the storm reaches the ocean waters east of Long Island and eastern New England on Thursday, it will be explosively intensifying. The storm’s central pressure will have fallen 55 millibars in just 24 hours — an astonishing rate of intensification.
    Some computer models are projecting a minimum central air pressure of below 950 millibars at its peak, which would be nearly unheard of for this part of the world outside of a hurricane,” wrote Mashable’s Andrew Freedman. “For comparison, Hurricane Sandy had a minimum central pressure of about 946 millibars when it made its left hook into New Jersey in 2012.”

4. Rollhigher

Rollhigher Rookie

Oh, whether to drive in Thursday night or a very early dash on Friday morning and hope to get there on time...

NWS for Virginia Beach:

* what... heavy snow possible. Plan on difficult travel conditions,
    including during the morning commute on Thursday. Total snow
    accumulations of 3 to 6 inches are possible.

* Where... portions of eastern and southeast Virginia and
    northeast North Carolina.

* When... from late Wednesday afternoon through Thursday afternoon,
    with the most significant impacts likely occurring from
    Wednesday night through Thursday morning.

5. teacup

teacup Podium

Travel Alerts January 3-5, 2018:
    NE USA Winter Weather - NH ME MA VT CT RI
    Airports: BGR,BOS,BTV,BDL,MHT,PWM,PVD

NE USA Winter Weather - NY and NJ
    Airports: ALB,JFK,LGA,HPN,EWR, ABE,AVP,BWI,DCA,IAD,MDT,ORF,PHF,PHL

SE USA Winter Weather – GA AND FL
    Airports: AGS,BQK,SAV,VLD,GNV,JAX,TLH

SE USA Winter Weather – NC AND SC
    Airports: CHS,CAE,CLT,FAY,MYR,RDU,ILM

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Sure hope that global warming makes a strong comeback by the April NAC. ;)

( Yes, yes, I know. )

7. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Let alone someone who knows how to use one.

We had a helluva adventure coming back from JOs in Richmond. Seven hours just to get up to the Beltway. Virginians can't plow it and can't drive on it. Once we got into Maryland (and it was 1:00 am), the traffic on 95 cleared up and I just followed the ruts in the snow all the way back (helps to have a Saab)

8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Now there is a real Saab story for you...

9. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

It's not like they get a lot of opportunity to practice. Usually by the time they figure out which end of the plow to use the season has come to an end and by the next time they actually need to use a plow they've already had way too much time to forgot whatever lessons they may have learned. I often wish state highway administrations would send their drivers up Buffalo or Rochester for a week or two every year at the beginning of the season for training.

Only saving grace may be that since Virginia Beach is on the coast the impact of winter weather is likely to be more moderate there than further inland. Unfortunately the benefit is limited since most of the major roads into and out of the area tend to run inland.

10. Rollhigher

Rollhigher Rookie

...and now we have a Blizzard Warning...

... Blizzard Warning in effect from 7 PM this evening to 1 PM EST
    Thursday...

* what... blizzard conditions expected. Travel will be very
    dangerous to impossible, including during the morning commute on
    Thursday. Tree branches could fall as well. Total snow
    accumulations of 5 to 8 inches are expected with locally higher
    amounts up to 12 inches.
    Time to implement Plan B.​

11. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

And apparently a 'bomb cyclone'. I have never heard of that before, but apparently it's like a winter hurricane...

12. keropie

keropie Podium

While I'm glad there are now provisions for people who's flights are cancelled, I'm a bit concerned about the lack of provisions for 'it's just not safe to drive in this stuff.' Oh well, such is life, right?

ReadyFence likes this.
  13. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Live results/initial seedings now posted for the January NAC at usafencingresults.com. Seems a bit on the late side but I guess that's what the holidays will do.

14. nasnem

nasnem Made the Cut

It snowed a little bit Wednesday afternoon here in VA Beach and the roads froze starting to become slick. It's 3:30 AM as I'm typing this and It's snowing heavily. Some of the flights coming into Norfolk were cancelled last night and arrivals were rescheduled for later Thursday morning. I'll try and post again later today once I get outside.

15. fencerina dad

fencerina dad Made the Cut

If you are driving thru Virginia to get to the NAC go to www.511virginia.org the web site will allow you to look at all major traffic cameras on Virginia roads. It will give you a great idea of what to expect along your route. Be safe

16. nasnem

nasnem Made the Cut

Lot's of icy streets covered by snow. The main streets were plowed at 9 am when we left the hotel. More flights into Norfolk cancelled until this afternoon.

17. nasnem

nasnem Made the Cut

The snow has stopped. The sun is out and melting some of the snow. The venue will not open until 12 PM on Friday. All Friday event start times have been pushed back.

ReadyFence likes this.
  18. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Between the truck crash in October and the weather this week, USFA is snakebit this season.

Privateer likes this.
  19. teacup

teacup Podium

Is it time to seriously discuss the pros and cons of hosting events in Virginia in the middle of winter?

Correlli likes this.
  20. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I believe that it's already an annual topic on this forum. It all comes down to what is affordable for the NO to hold this event, what venues are available at that price, and what the membership is willing to pay in entry fees, etc Nothing has changed.

Privateer likes this.