Is this legit?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Fourcomp, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Fourcomp

Fourcomp Rookie

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

It's just the pic....it would never work that way.

3. Fourcomp

Fourcomp Rookie

Yeah figured so.

4. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Actually as shown the socket would fit inside of the plastic insulating sleeve, so it could work provided any paint or other insulation on the inside surface guard were removed where the socket made contact with the guard (the only requirements being that the socket be located inside of the guard, the interior of the guard be completely insulated by paint or a pad, the two sockets of the plug be in direct contact with the guard, total resistance be 1 ohm or less, the grip and pommel be completely insulated and the exterior of the gaurd be insulated within 7-8 cm of the pommel).

However unless the socket were long enough it might be necessary to cut back the insulating sleeve, at least on the inside, which could ultimately compromise its function (insulating the exterior of the guard within 7-8 cm of the pommel). Plus its location would probably make it difficult to bend the guard in to fit over the tang, and I would think having the socket there might make things uncomfortable for fencer's hand. So while it might be "possible" it probably isn't anything you would ever actually want to do.

5. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I'm confused by the phrase, "Recommended for competition use because it is made of very light Titanium that is not as strong as the Aluminium type."
    I thought Titanium was stronger than Aluminum.

Privateer likes this.
  6. EspadaMK

EspadaMK Made the Cut

Pure Ti would be but this is not pure titanium, it is an alloy.

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

You'd have to have a means of securing the socket to the guard. No WAY it stays connected enough shoved under the sheath to maintain a b/c closure.

8. bobb121

bobb121 DE Bracket

Now, if it was welded, silver soldered, or riveted different story. Heck if the insulation was heat shrink it might work but this is just for photo purposes because PBT is just including those items with the guard.

9. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

The socket would be secured the same way it would be in a regular installation - by sandwiching it between the guard and the grip (just at the other end of the grip). Of course this would require fitting the socket all the way to the tang - hence my concern as to whether or not the socket would extend far enough out to clear the insulating sleeve. As I said before, just because it could be done (and even made to work, if done properly) doesn't mean that anyone should ever want to actually do it.

Unfortunately now that the possibility has raised been I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone tries it - most likely some well-intentioned individual who thinks they are helping their fencing friend/child/etc,

10. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Guys,
    The photographer most likely could not get the socket to stay in place so they most likely just stuck the socket in the sleeve so you would know it came with the guard. My photographer has no clue what goes with what, she just shoots it and gives me the images.

The basis of Titanium: if you mix 1% of *Llmenite* with aluminum at 1600 degrees, you can call it Titanium. It's not any heavier, its not any lighter, its just 1% stronger.

For those that are going to say: "well Vniti", different process totally. Vniti is much stronger, different mixture and much *thicker* than most other guards. This is where they get the strength from. The titanium chemical used in vniti guards is: Titanium Tetrachloride, its a clear chemical, mixed with aluminum in sheet form then pressure pressed to give its form.
    Chemical: TiClâ‚„. When mixed with aluminum, gives it a almost yellowed coloring. Hmmmm

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Privateer likes this.
  11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I SO wish Vniti made sabre guards.....

12. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

No you don't!
    If they did, which they are not, you would complain about the weight.

13. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Maybe...I'm more thinking the durability.

14. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Durability, weight, either way.

I have asked them 4 or 5 times about a sabre guard, each time the answer is "nope"!

Don't hold your breath waiting on them. They are pretty dead set on it *not* happening.