Is there a way to turn a Raspberry Pi 3 into a VSM for Epee?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Christian Edwards, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Christian Edwards

Christian Edwards Rookie

Hello, I'd like to be able to practice at home electrically instead of dry, however, I can't afford an expensive scoring machine. Does anybody know how to turn something like a raspberry pi into a scoring machine in some way?

2. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

VSM

VSM runs on any Windows PC since Windows 98. Any old, surplus laptop or desktop. Or a Windows Tablet; you can get a cheap tablet for around $80.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  3. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

If you are actually going to practice against an opponent (as opposed to simply doing drills), then the scoring machine may be the least expensive of your problems (especially for epee, where old analog machines which cannot be updated for foil or saber are still usable). You also need to somehow connect both fencers to the machine.

And if all you are going to do are individual drills then you really don't need a scoring machine. A simple buzz box that goes off whenever the tip is pressed in enough to close the A-to-B circuit will suffice.

4. dcchew

dcchew Podium

5. mtwieg2

mtwieg2 DE Bracket

Any microcontroller can be programmed into a workable scoring machine so long as it has a dozen or so available GPIOs. An Arduino can do it, and a Rasberry Pi is a hundred times more powerful.

6. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I made an epee box based on a $20 STAMP chip fifteen years ago. Still works fine:

The logic is bone simple, I wrote the whole thing while watching a football game on tv. The only tweak needed was a debounce delay to keep bell guard touches from going off.

7. neevel

neevel Armorer

The cheapest approach might be to ask around (or post on the Trading Post forum here) if anyone has an old, non-upgradable 2-weapon scoring box that they would like to part with for little-or-no money.

If you have a space to set it up, a bungee or clothesline reel cable system can be cobbled together for maybe $60-80 using four-conductor phone line for the cable and epee sockets as the couplings.

Gav likes this.
  8. jeff price

jeff price Rookie

You can build a box for about 35 bucks using an Arduino. there are several threads about scoring machines here.