Is ate 45 too old to learn fencing with 9 year old son?

Discussion in 'Parent's Corner' started by gscastro, Jul 19, 2015.

1. gscastro

gscastro Rookie

Hi All,

My 9 year old wants to learn fencing, and I am very supportive of it. Since I have been looking for a new hobby as a way to frequently work out, I thought about joining the same fencing academy where I will enroll my son, so not only I can spend time with him learning a new sport, but I can also do some workout (as opposed to just sitting there for an hour or two watching my son's class).

I am 45, going into 46. Am I too old to try to learn this sport along with my son? Would it be wiser just to support him instead of trying to learn it at the same time? Either way (me doing it or not), I will support my son's choice, he loves the sport, and I think he will learn great skills for life.

Thank you for any feedback.

Best,

George

2. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Nope. Check with the coach for your age appropriate class and go have fun.

3. fencer-dad-of-fencer

fencer-dad-of-fencer Made the Cut

You are not too old, and (in my opinion) it will likely give you a more insight into his progress, more sympathy with his problems, and probably more ability to communicate with his coaches.

4. Diesel

Diesel Made the Cut

No, you are fine. It will give you great perspective on what your child is learning.

I've seen several parents take up the sport with their children. One parent I know is in his early 50s and just competed in the summer nationals vet foil event. I've also seen a few parents begin to referee.

Couldn't hurt. Give it a shot.

Cheers,

5. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Paging Peach

In advance of multiple-World Vet-gold medaler Peach's detailed response - she began with her (teen?) daughter. Similarly, our World Vet gold and multiple-Vet-team member epeeist John Ridge began with his son.

6. ianwhitehead

ianwhitehead Rookie

Hi,

I've just turned 40 and my son is almost 10, we've started going fencing to an adult and child class and it is fantastic, my advice is to you is to ease up if you need to, I nearly did my hamstring practising lunging over and over again. Currently I'm the only adult, which feels a bit strange during the warm up and footwork, but the teenagers there are almost my size and don't mind fencing (beating) me and also help with coaching along with some of the parents who attend the adult only session. I've been put straight into epee and my son is learning foil. Can't wait to save up for the gear so we can practice at home, he has been attacking me with wooden swords for the past 8 years anyway!

7. Privateer

Privateer Podium

i started at 36 I think. buddy of mine started at 51. you're fine.

listen to your body, know your limitations. stretch frequently. do yoga and cardio to cross train.

8. Kurt Runke

Kurt Runke Rookie

You're definitely not to old to have fun and even to become competitive (I started at 48). You may not be able to catch up to the skill level of the high-schoolers in your club, there are age-level competitions where you should be able to have fun (40-49, 50-59, etc.) It can be hard on your body, so as Privateer says, listen to your body.

9. gscastro

gscastro Rookie

Hi all, I want to sincerely thank you all for the support and great advice. I was not feeling very encouraged about starting fencing at 45, but now I will definitely give it a try.

Best,

George

10. Maggie

Maggie Made the Cut

I was older than that when I started. Having a great time. Go for it!

11. JS Hart

JS Hart DE Bracket

Absolutely. I think I was 45 before I got a rating.

12. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

George,

I'd encourage you to do that. It gives you something to do at the fencing club while letting your son do his class.

In fact, the sabre club in Atlanta (Nellya Fencers) started adult classes and got a lot of new fencers since the parents were spending most of class time in the lounge. Now they've got a good veterans group going.

13. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Plus the role reversal when your son starts strip-coaching you will be enlightening.

14. foodle

foodle Made the Cut

Go for it. In addition to specific age limit classes, most clubs have an open (all age) practice sometime during the week, usually the weekend. Plus, most coaches are pretty relaxed and won't mind you working out with the teens and older kids.

15. Zebra

Zebra Podium

But if the coach doesn't understand that a 50-year-old body can't do what a 15-year-old body can do, and that a 50-year-old mind works differently from a 15-year-old mind, you may need a different coach.

16. abouttothunder

abouttothunder Made the Cut

Go for it. I was 42 and started a couple months after my kid. Having a coach who understands adult fencers does help a great deal.

17. Citrus

Citrus Rookie

I am a 46 year old stroke survivor and I started three months ago! so happy I did! I hide you have fun like I do!

18. sylphs

sylphs Rookie

19. sylphs

sylphs Rookie

I am 56 and just started fencing as my son gets ready to go to college he's hopeful that I could make the Vet 60 woman team in 4 years (Lol). Once you are over 40 yrs of age their are veteran categories so you won't be fencing younger people. Some clubs have vet/adult classes

20. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Calling Peach. She began concurrent with her daughter and was a World V50 and V60 gold medalist (also silver). A World V60 epeeist began with his son - and he's using his non-dominant hand!