Is 13 considered a late start?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Sabrina, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Sabrina

Sabrina Rookie

I've been thinking about starting my 13 yo. daughter in fencing. She's interested in competing. I've been looking around online and it says the optimal time to start your child for competitive fencing is 8-11. Is 13 (almost 14) considered a late start, and if so, will it hinder her chances for competing?

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Not at all...there are many examples on this board -- as I'm sure you'll see in return postings -- that stared MUCH later than 13. (Paging Peach....Delilah Turner to the courtesy phone, please).

Optimal time doesn't mean the ONLY time.

A lot of people start in high school or college...and often even later than that.

Don't focus so much on competition that she doesn't have fun first (my recommendation is for sabre, but I'm a bit biased!).

3. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Yes, our own fencerperson Tim Morehouse didn't start fencing until high school, went to a division 3 school, and ended up with an Olympic team medal :) So no, it's not too late!

And another vote for saber- fun, fast-moving and great for girls.

4. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

She's a good fencer; just don't let her near you with scissors.

Although you may be safe, Sam.

swordwench and Inquartata like this.
  5. acarter

acarter Made the Cut

Hi Sabrina,
    13 is definitely not too late to start fencing, or competing.I started at 18 in college and have been fencing for 16 years. She may not be winning any youth competitions initially, but that's okay. If your goal is to get her into the Olympics, well that is unlikely no matter what age she starts. For now, if she wants to do it and have fun, that is all that matters. Fencing can be a lifetime sport if you let it.

Caz likes this.
  6. Grey Sabreur

Grey Sabreur Made the Cut

No. - Jujie Luan, a Canadian (formerly Chinese) fencer competed at Beijing 2008 at the age of 50, she had been competing since she was 17.

7. robert

robert Made the Cut

Yes and she won the foil gold at the Olympics in LA.
    I teach beginners from 8 to 60 and the first thing is to learn the spot and have fun. You can have a long career fencing locally but also nationally and at international and age category world championships until you are 50, 60, 70+ if you like the sport. So 13 is just fine but so is 33 or 11 or 55.

Grey Sabreur likes this.
  8. Grey Sabreur

So she will have to wait 27 years to qualify for the Veterans category.....

9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Makes me wonder if Mariel will try to win the vet categories as she ages in. They're the only thing she HASN'T won -- if only because she's too young.

She had a good run at the Seoul grand prix event last weekend. 8th in her first event since having her child.

Not bad at all.

10. Grey Sabreur

Another thought - Sabrina - you aren't too old to start fencing! It is in the living memory of some of us when teenagers were a rarity in fencing and it was considered an adult activity.

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

To shoot off of that, She might be amazed at how many parents get into the sport because of their kids' participation....and sometimwes continue it after the kid stops.

Grey Sabreur likes this.
  12. paulfriedberg

paulfriedberg Rookie

In some ways starting at 13 is better. Muscles and mind are more developed, and plenty of time to develop technique and understanding. A lot is dependent on quality of coaching and programs in your area.

Inquartata likes this.