Interesting perspective

Discussion in 'Coaching Corner' started by Allen Evans, May 25, 2017.

1. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

From a conversation I have been having with a fellow coach (who will be anonymous). Note that this discussion was centered around epee and foil. I don't feel (and I think he would agree) that the comments do not necessarily apply to saber.

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

[QUOTE="Allen Evans, post: 1184940, member: 3232" Coach quote:' ... I think most useful to teach first and always is best described as the "attack on the preparation.'[/QUOTE]I do this a lot. But I also second-intention, i.e. feint to draw the attack on preparation.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. Mitchell

Mitchell is a Verified Fencing ExpertMitchell hi Staff Member

Couldn't you use the same words to just describe "attack", regardless of whether its "on the preparation" or not?

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  4. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

That's a good question, but I can think of at least one difference between AIP and a "normal" attack:

5. Mitchell

Mitchell is a Verified Fencing ExpertMitchell hi Staff Member

Oh absolutely; I just meant from the criteria listed in the first quoted comment only. Seems like just plain old attacking also covers "distance, timing, observation, aggressiveness good self image and strong mental skills" - preparation not necessarily required.

6. mpego1

mpego1 Rookie

I think it's interesting because it implies that - the defender has picked up on queues coming from the attacker, meaning they think they know what action the attacker is going to deploy, either because they have just deployed a tactical trap that the attacker is now "apparently" being a willing participant in (taking the bait), or they just think they know what the attacker is going to do, thus facilitating their response with a timed counter attack, into the prep, from the right distance using good tempo...whatever that may be. Easier said than done, but a very legitimate view for an example of high level fencing.

7. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Ref Drift: Do you call "Attack (FoL) no. Attack (FoR) arrives" or AIP? I used to call AIP if the attacker was caught with his arm withdrawn, but at the recent Russian WC, the withdrawer's attack was awarded.

8. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

I agree. But in the case of the attack into the preparation, there is a "first mover advantage" that gives the opponent a slight edge, making the aip a good test of skills.

mpego1 likes this.