Innovating in fencing

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jdude97, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:11 PM.

1. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

There are a lot of things we do in fencing that are done because that's the way they've always been done. With that said, there's also often a trend to make changes for the sake of making change or making changes without proper thought and trialing. Nevertheless I think it important to constantly be questioning the status quo and consider new innovations.

The one in particular I want to discuss here is a version of epee in which hits do not stop and reset the action. Rather you can hit someone repeatedly in a phrase and each hit counts. I understand the vsm has a mode that allows this. My questions include:
    - how long is the reset time between hits?
    - is this actually a fun game?
    - what are the tactics and strategy like?

2. Privateer

Privateer Podium

https://www.fencing.net/forums/threads/unconventional-fencing-with-vsm.55755/

3. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

What the heck is "invalid" in epee? The floor? The ref? The reel cable?

4. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I gather from that context and reading that old thread that Melee is intended to be done with foils, not epees. I think it could be better with epee in which you could connect hand or foot touches with a torso touch, thus getting 2 hits at the same time. On the other hand, in epee it would greatly reduce the value of hand and foot touches I'd expect since those are mainly about hitting before getting hit, so many hand/foot touches turn into 1 point each.

5. mfp

mfp Podium

An invalid hit in epee is a hit on an infirm or sickly person - a person who is too sick or weak to care for himself or herself.

NKFA and Inquartata like this.
  6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

But isn't that all epeeists? :D

7. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Melee with epees is a fast, enjoyable game with some, probably limited, training value, IMO.

You have to set the reset time to be fairly long, a second or so, or you get stab-fests. So foot to body or hand to body is not viable. If you set the reset time short enough to do that then it's a workable tactic to do a bunch of rapid stabbing remises once you hit, which feels both trivial and like it encourages actions that aren't much like real fencing.

The most interesting touches, again IMO, are hit-then-parry actions. But are these a good idea in terms of training for real epee? I'm not very sure. It does of course teach you to keep fencing even if you think you've hit.

We play it every once in a while on Fridays, just for fun. It shakes things up, maybe it teaches you something, it's fun to change the rules up.

NKFA and jdude97 like this.