In search of a new 350N Jacket

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by lodewykk, Sep 17, 2014.

1. lodewykk

lodewykk Rookie

Hi

I want to buy a new 350N jacket (and breeches) and couldn't find much info comparing the different brands.

I am currently considering the following:
    • Leon Paul Phoenix - stretch + I hear good things about LP. It's expensive, though.
    • AllStar Lyon - custom fit. I have also only heard good things about AllStar. Not stretch though.
    • PBT 350N - custom fit. Elastic. I don't know much about them though.

If anyone has any experience with any of these (especially PBT) any input would be appreceated.

Thanks

2. David Sierra

David Sierra DE Bracket

I'm a big fan of the Absolute Comfort Plus line. 350N, CE Standard. They are comfy, protective and wear like iron. And inexpensive (but not cheap). Well made - and the occasional defect is handled promptly. It's the basic line we sell in our pro shop and I've seen a lot of them over the years. It's not uncommon for them to be passed down through multiple generations of kids as one out grows the uniform. And I've got adults and teens who have had theirs for several years without any problems. Not stretchy though, and runs a little on the large size, except in the arms. Teenage boys who have arms that are outsized for the rest of their bodies will find them too big in the shoulders or too short in the sleeves. Everyone else will be fine.

3. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

I have worn the LP Phoenix- it's comfortable and good quality, and if I remember correctly it had some sort of wicking lining in it that was nice. Also durable- I'll bet at least four fencers have worn it so far.

4. D'Artagnan1673

D'Artagnan1673 Podium

A guy at my club has Blue Gauntlet's 350NW jacket. It stretches and has a lining. It is, however, heavy, although the owner says it breathes well. According to their site, the jacket is actually rated at a little over 500NW.

5. rudd

rudd Podium

I have the LP Phoenix jacket. I bought it second hand over 4 years ago as my club jacket. It fits well. It is fairly stretchy and the weight is good. It has also proved very durabe. It has a wicking line but I don't think it does much accept make the jacket warmer.

6. lodewykk

lodewykk Rookie

Haha, I suspected as much! ^_^

7. Degenmeister

Degenmeister Rookie

I've been using the LP Phoenix for several years and love it. It is very well made, very comfortable, and has a good deal of stretch. The lining does make it a bit warm. I suggest getting a FIE plastron to use with it.

8. lodewykk

lodewykk Rookie

Why? Isn't the 350N protection enough?

9. brtech

brtech Podium

No, 350 NT protection is NOT enough. Various NGBs allow them, but it's not enough protection. 350 is a marketing thing. It's A standard, so you can't sell complete junk, but it won't stop a broken blade in a normal thrust from penetrating your chest. There is always some combination of sharp enough edges on a broken blade, especially a non-maraging blade, and enough force that will penetrate even an FIE plastron over an FIE jacket, but you are WAY ahead with double 800 than double 350.

10. lodewykk

lodewykk Rookie

Does anyone have any data on this? As I understand 350N protection is seen as adequate by all official bodies escept the FIE, and then they only govern what happens at the Olympic Games. Please correct me if I am wrong in this regard.

This seems like a bit of a silly statement to make. CEN1 is a globally accepted standard. Why do you call it a marketing thing?

Does anyone have some data / experience on this? I've tried searching but because "fencing" isn't exactly only applied to the sport, it is proving exceedingly difficult to find any good information. Even Google Scholar has come up dry.

11. D'Artagnan1673

D'Artagnan1673 Podium

Just another thought to throw out. In another thread, several people suggested that you at least have an FIE plastron (which I agree with). That would give you 350+800. Also, keep in mind that 350NW CEN1 is a standard. That doesn't mean that all CEN1 jackets are rated at exactly 350NW. It means they at least are at or exceed 350NW. You might consider emailing the vendors and asking them what the NW resistance really is.

12. lodewykk

lodewykk Rookie

I've found some data by searching this forum:
    From this post I found this link:

http://www.fie.ch/download/medical/en/IOC Epidemiology of Fencing Injury.pdf

So, this 2011 study found:

That said, I think I'll take my chances with 350N clothing on becomming #11

13. D'Artagnan1673

D'Artagnan1673 Podium

How many fencers have been wounded, but not killed, via blade penetration? What I am saying is that this has happened more than just 11 times. At a minimum, I would at least wear an FIE plastron, as DangerMouse says below.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  14. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

You should know better than to say this. There is no real difference in breakage pattern between maraging and non-maraging blades. That said, I won't fence without an FIE plastron.

You are wrong in this regard. A lot of national governing bodies require CEN2/FIE certification for all uniforms and some even require that level be used during practice. Also, the FIE is responsible for overseeing all world cups and world championships. Not just the Olympic games.

15. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Not even 800N is a sure bet against penetration from a broken or unbroken blade. Personally I consider 350N a minimum starting point, as long as there is an 800N plastron underneath. Why go with cheap poly or cotton? The cost of good minimum equipment should be factored into the decision to fence.

Oh and DM- on a totally unrelated note, I read on the BBC this morning that they are re-booting Danger Mouse :cool:

16. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

No way! That was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid (in case you hadn't guessed).

17. cfulmer

cfulmer Made the Cut

A good question. Where do fencers need FIE equipment?

18. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Any international (FIE) event, from cadets up to seniors.

Or another answer- anywhere a fencer wants to best protect themselves from possible injury, such as nightly practice at the club :).

19. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

20. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

There are also some countries where it is required for any event of any level.