Identify Scoring Box + power supply info needed

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Tall Man, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Tall Man

Tall Man Rookie

I was given this scoring box a couple of years ago. I am told it functions- I am hoping to set it up in our club as a simple touch indicator for our kids epee classes. There is no logo or makers marks on it anywhere. It is mounted inside a Pelican Box. I figured I would post it here and seek the wisdom of the crowd. My questions:
    - Any idea who manufactured this?
    - I need a power cord/supply. I'm no electrical engineer but I see that the power input is a XLR audio jack (see photo). I figure I can rig something by re-wiring an old power supply cord but I don't know how to determine what the voltage / power requirements are and I don't want to fry it (or myself). How do I figure this out?

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  2. keropie

keropie Podium

3. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

4. Tall Man

Tall Man Rookie

Hey, that's great. Many thanks. I'll email them now. Looks like it comes with a lifetime of upgrade coverage.
    Thanks again!

Rab

5. Tall Man

Tall Man Rookie

6. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

A few things to note:

First off, Tripplette machines use a 12vAC power supply - AC - not DC. As such they differ from almost about every other scoring machine made in the last forty years.

Second they use a 4-pin DIN plug for power - not a 5-pin DIN (if they had done that then you might have actually been able to buy replacement parts). If you number the pins at the 9 and 11 o'clock positions 1 and 2, and the pins at 1 and 3 o'clock positions 3 and 4, then one wire coming out of the power supply will connect to pins 1 and 2 while the other wire will connect to pins 3 and 4 - since it's AC polarity doesn't matter. Whatever you do, don't short pins 2 and 3 (or 1 and 3 or 1 and 4 or 2 and 4) together.

Third, having been made in the 90's the lights still indicated the side receiving the touch (even though the practice counting touches received (high score loses) had been dropped in favor of counting touches scored (high score wins) years before). This means that unless the machine has been rewired (which actually wouldn't be that difficult but would require delving into the innards of the scoring machine) the lights will seem backward unless you reverse the floor cords (i.e. plug in the right-hand reel to the left side of the machine and the left-hand reel into the right side of the machine). This can be confusing if you aren't familiar with older scoring machines.

Finally (and this is important) - because the power plug is a male connector and the female socket it plugs into has a metal rim it's all too easy to accidentally short the pins together while fitting and the power plug into the socket or removing it. In order to avoid blowing the power supply's fuse you always want to plug the power supply into the machine BEFORE connecting the power supply to a 120vAC outlet, and you want to disconnect the power supply from the outlet before unplugging the power supply from the machine. Otherwise it's only a matter of time before you will end up blowing the fuse on the power supply (and at least some of the power supplies that Tripplette sold with these machines were not designed to allow the fuse to be changed, at least not without cutting open the entire case).

It should probably be noted that Tripplette machine don't have the best reputation for reliability when it comes to registering touches in saber (my understanding is that the code behind their implementation of the anti-whipover lockout was rather creative). You also have to figure out which mode is which when selecting the weapon - the latest revision I'm familiar with allowed you to select old (i.e. pre-2004) or new (i.e. 2005) timing for foil and saber (epee timing hasn't changed in decades). Not sure if this still applies for machines updated to the latest (2016) timing, but the most recent timing change really only impacts saber so foil and epee should not be effected.

7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Also, avoid touching a plugged-in sabre blade to any metal parts showing on the box. It looks as though the case in which yours is mounted does not have the metal rim which the early cases had, which is good, but there are still screws on the face of the panel. Don't let your fencers try turning the thing on or off or switching weapons with the tips of their weapons.

8. Tall Man

Tall Man Rookie

Thanks everyone, great advice. I'll have it set up soon!

9. Bozeman Fencing Assoc

Bozeman Fencing Assoc Rookie

Hello- Just wanted to say thank everyone for your sage advice about the power supply for the Triplette scoring machine posted back in March. It turns out TCA does not service those machines anymore and does not carry parts.

I looked online and found a power supply that might work. I wanted to to run it past you first. What do you think?

I've been struggling to get a link posted here. Hopefully this one will work: https://www.amazon.com/CWT-PAA040F-QSee-Power-Supply/dp/B07BCV8SB1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538515019&sr=8-1&keywords=12+volt+4+pin+din+power+supply

10. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

So much for their "lifetime" warranty (not that I'm surprised - they never said whose lifetime).

It looks like it should work, however the wording is confusing (I don't like that part about 12vDC)and unfortunately the picture provided was taken with the plug covering the portion of the label that describes the output. Before ordering you may want to contact the seller and confirm that it puts out 12vAC (maybe even ask for a good picture of the label plate). You may also want to ask about the pin out: numbering the pins from left to right, a Trippelette power supply has pins 1 and 2 connected to one line and pins 3 and 4 connected to the other line (fortunately AC tends to be less sensitive to polarity than DC). As such you might want to confirm that it isn't something odd like short pins 2 and 3 (the ,middle pins) together (why anyone would want to do that I don't know, but stranger things have happened - such as designing a fencing scoring machine that requires AC power when the standards specified by the international governing body call for DC).

11. brtech

brtech Podium

I highly doubt that's right. I think that is a DC power supply.

This one:

will work I think. You will need to use the cord from the bad one.

12. K O'N

K O'N Podium

How much money are you going to spend on an oddball old box running on AC power with known shorting issues? I'd put it on a shelf and buy a cheap set of buzzers, or get a cheap tablet and a VSM box.

13. brtech

brtech Podium

Having maintained a couple of Triplettes for several years (albeit several years ago), I don't think it's very hard to keep them running. The lack of timing updates is a bigger problem

14. Bozeman Fencing Assoc

Bozeman Fencing Assoc Rookie

Thanks all. I'll spend 16 bucks for that cord, after that I'm done.
    This is to wire up a short strip for our kinder fencers in the corner of our club- so the stakes (and expectations) on this one are pretty low.

15. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

If you mean the one you posted a link to, that is the wrong type of power supply. See K O'N's post above.

16. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Note that most recent timing update only impacts saber (the weapon Tripplette machines seem to have are most problems with to begin with) so if the machine received the 2005 update then should be fine for foil, and even without that update it should still be fine for epee.

17. Tall Man

Tall Man Rookie

It's fixed.

This is a photo of Bob in just one little corner of his house/workshop. While his main gig is fixing electronic keyboards and other musical equipment he fixed the power supply in about an hour for $45. Included at no extra charge were: a free soldering lesson, a long narrative on how social security is a tool of the new world order and the full story of how Jesus blessed him with 65% accuracy fade-away shot from the three-point line.

It was worth the money just to hang out in the presence of full throttle Asperger's surrounded by teetering piles of glorious 60's vintage Moog synthesizers and wondering why the whole place has not gone up in flames from a dropped soldering iron.

Anyway, the scoring machine is installed in the club, eight year olds can now fence with flashing lights, and I have a go-to electronics wizard for anything else that breaks. I'm mostly happy that there is a place in the world for people like Bob and that there is, for now, one less piece of e-waste in this world. God bless the fixers!
    IMG_7091.JPG