I would like to get advice on injuries and suffering caused by lunge movements

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Yoseb yoon, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Yoseb yoon

Yoseb yoon Rookie

Hello Coaches. I need some advice. please read this and help me. I would like to get advice on injuries and suffering caused by lunge movements. Some of my players have severe pain in the back of thighs. Thigh in the front foot. I think it's closer to my buttocks than my thighs. I have never felt such pain while doing fencing Doctors are not just inflammation, but more serious problems. Rumor has it that this injury can be solved with more lunge. But I do not believe it. Through this page, I would like to get help from various coaches around the world. Help.

2. posineg

posineg DE Bracket

Without a professional Medical evaluation, one never knows if there is true damage to the body or not. Are the people suffering from the aches and pains of fencing, novice or returning to fencing? People who are not in physical condition could suffer from sore muscles.

If you are commenting about you H.School team suffering from the first weeks of conditioning and training, this will happen. Maybe the fencers are doing the drill incorectly and are stressing themselves or they are just out of shape and pushing themselves to get back into proper form. Do the warmups/stretches/cooldowns and your muscles will hurt less over time.

Yoseb yoon likes this.
  3. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

In general I would agree with posineg and add that there is a big difference between a 14 year old and a 70 year old. So you need to be more specific as to which group your students fall into. One of the challenges of being a coach is knowing how to fit your lessons to the student's abilities. You want them to be pushing the envelope in their development but still be within their capability. And if it is a single student then it might be worth consulting a physician. If it is a group, as your post seems to imply, then more attention to stretching and warmup would be suggested. But as posineg posted it is difficult to analyze/diagnose the problem from such a general description.
    Best regards

Yoseb yoon likes this.
  4. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

In terms of form, I know many fencers lunge such that their forward knee goes beyond their forward foot, which can cause injury (and also make your lunges worse). I do not know if the symptoms you describe could be caused by this incorrect form, but perhaps watch to see if your fencers make this error.

Yoseb yoon likes this.
  5. esgrima

esgrima Made the Cut

What you seem to be describing sounds like a torn hamstring. Go to a doctor! Tell and explain to the doctor the lunge and then they will/should examine to confirm if it is in fact a torn hamstring. DO NOT DO MORE LUNGES!!

6. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

We would need to see video of the en garde and lunge you are doing. If you aren't performing the movement, or if you are flat out not conditioned/are out of shape, then you're gonna have a bad time.