How to sew a patch to my uniform?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by ifencegud, Mar 19, 2019.

1. ifencegud

ifencegud Made the Cut

Hello all,

What’s the best way to get a rectangular patch onto the leg of my 350N pants? I can sew — passable if not with honors; thank you, sixth grade home ec — and I can find someone else who can do a better job than I can.

Fencing stuff is pretty tough, a little on the heavy side and not the thinnest stuff in the world. Hand or machine? Will any dry cleaners or tailors do it?

Thanks everyone. -i

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I hand-sewed the USA Fencing logo patches onto my 800N knickers myself, no problem.

3. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

I have sewn lots of patches on 800N knickers by hand, a thimble helps. You could pay an alterations person too.

4. Zebra

Zebra Podium

A sharp needle is all you need. Pushing it through the crest (which usually has some kind of sealant on the back) will actually be harder then pushing it through the material of your jacket or pants.
    --Zebra
    [who hand-sews the USA Hockey referee crest on his sweater every season because the velcro most guys use looks unprofessional]

5. Grey Sabreur

Grey Sabreur DE Bracket

A long time ago I got into the habit of using Velcro. I would sew the pile side to the jacket (or pants) and the hook side to the badge/patch. That way you can remove the badge for washing. Learned to do that the hard way when the purple dye from a patch leeched out around the patch during washing.

6. Zebra

Zebra Podium

I'd OK it, since I figure the crest would come off easily if a point caught it, but there are probably other refs who would reject it and force you to remove the crest.

7. Chauffeur

Chauffeur DE Bracket

I just use the stuff we use for Scout uniform badges. Badge Magic is one brand, but there are others. It is essentially two sided tape in 8.5x11 sheets. I cut it to size, peel one backing, then stick it to the patch. Then peel the other backing and place on the garment. Press/roll with something like a serving spoon or lacrosse ball. Haven't lost a club patch yet.

I don't know how it would translate to larger patches, such as the USA logo. Probably not too well.

8. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Stuff works well until you need to move the badge. Then there's a sticky mess that binds to anything else, like dirt / fuzz / cat-hair..