How to fix my Epee

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by [Arion], Oct 1, 2018.

1. [Arion]

[Arion] Rookie

Hi there, my Epee is broken and I hope that the people in this section would be willing to help me once again.

So, I don't actually know what's wrong with it. I checked my cord, that appears to be fine. My trainer already looked at the spring in the tip, and he says that's fine too, so he doesn't really know what's wrong with it either.
    When I test my epee with one of the test reels it also seems to be working, but the problem arises when I'm on the strip. Lately, after around three quarter of the training, my epee stops working. I make a hit and it doesn't get registered. When I try it on the ground it registers it around 1 in 5 times. My trainer already confirmed that the strip is working fine, plus others don't have this problem on the strip. I also have the problem on other strips, and others don't. Something is probably wrong with my equipment, but I have no idea what.

So, what could be the problem, and can I fix it?

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Clean your point. Check the contact spring adjustment. Insure the blade's wires are intact and securely fastened to the socket.

3. posineg

posineg Made the Cut

I have had this type of issue. I ended with replacing the tip and contact spring. The problem, I guess, was that the contact spring was not staying locked onto the threads and turned itself on the threads thus not registering a touch. Try a new tip and spring and see how long you can fence.

4. K O'N

K O'N Podium

A quick fix is to take the tip out, stretch the contact spring a bit, reassemble and see how that works.

If the contact spring is easy to turn that's probably the problem, and may come from a tip/spring mismatch, German spring on an LP tip or something. Before you discard the tip, just replace the contact spring (the contact spring is the little one that screws onto the tip, not the big one that holds the tip up).

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

It could also be the contacts aren't level, so the spring isn't consistent in shorting between the 2.

Go to http://www.homfencing.com/armory-videos.html and scroll down to the one marked "Inside an epee point" (between vids 19 and 20). Make the scr4een full size and look at the contacts...you can see how they aren't level with each other.

Also, watch vid 4 where I wire an epee. I refer to the contact level issue at the 8:40 or so mark.

6. neevel

neevel Armorer

1. You can get dirt or corrosion building up on the end of the contact spring, which will act as an insulator and prevent it from closing the circuit across the wire contacts. When you have the tip out, gently clean the end of the spring with emery paper or superfine grit sandpaper. I make this SOP whenever I have an epee tip apart for cleaning or adjustment.
    2. The contact spring has become compressed so that it is only barely reaching the contacts. Try gently stretching it or turning it down the post just a tiny amount (not too much or it will be too long and fail the 0.5 mm shim) and see if it improves things.
    3. The contacts themselves may be dirty/corroded, or they may be uneven. Gently scrape the contacts with a tip screwdriver to clean them, and then clean out the point with a cotton swab and alcohol. Some types of epee point setters have a nib at the end that serves to level the contacts, or a small-diameter pin-punch can be used (tap gently).
    4. Check to see if you don't have a loose guard-socket terminal, or if one of the wires going to the socket is broken inside the insulation so that it is only intermittently making a connection. It's not uncommon for this to be the cause of what seems to be a hard-to-diagnose tip problem.
    5. Depending on the scoring box you are using, damaged insulation or spaghetti tubing where the wires enter the guard or pass through the socket bracket and grip may be causing a short to the blade. Favero boxes and many older boxes will not register a touch in this situation. Make sure the insulation and tubing are undamaged and not pinched.
    6. If the above items check out OK or fail to fix things, then you may have a wire break in the barrel that is intermittently separating from the contact block. That means a rewire.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  7. Mergs

Mergs Podium

Or go here to get more information.

8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Exchange it for a sabre.

Purple Fencer likes this.
  9. [Arion]

[Arion] Rookie

Ah, thanks for all the replies guys, I hope one of these works.

Regarding the contact spring, I tried everything. I replaced the tip and the contact spring, I stretched the spring a bit, I stretched the contact spring a bit. I also tried turning the spring slightly. I did not try to turn the contact spring. Last time I checked it didn't really turn, but then again, I wasn't looking out for that I'll check if that is the problem.

I haven't tried cleaning it, so I will do that. I quickly looked up a video, they clean it with rubbing alcohol. Is that recommended? Or should I stick with emery paper and superfine grit sandpaper? Or both.

Another thing I never did was checking the wires. I feel like the wires are the most sensitive part of the Epee, thus the part where I can most likely screw my blade up even more. Is there some safe procedure I must take, or nah? Am I just being unreasonable...

Regarding the contacts that aren't leveled, is that a manufacturing error? How do I fix it? Open the tip and hammer it gently?

Why not both?

Also, a video about putting together an Epee. That's cool. I don't know if it's common around the world, but over here we usually don't make our own blades. Still, seems rad.

10. neevel

neevel Armorer

Sandpaper works best for the end of the contact spring, then clean out the barrel with alcohol and a cotton swab. If you try scraping the contacts, do that first and then swab out the barrel with alcohol.

You're not going to risk damaging the wires by checking them with your fingers or tightening the lugs- if one breaks when you do that, it's because it was already broken.

For uneven contacts, just put the pin punch or point setter (the FWF epee point setter is the one with the leveling nib) into the barrel and gently tap a couple of times

11. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Where?

12. [Arion]

[Arion] Rookie

Alright thanks. I'll try it this weekend and see if it works during the next training.

13. Christian Edwards

Christian Edwards Rookie

Nah don't do it. Epee is the best!

14. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

You misspelled that last word. The word is "pest".