How to find a fencing club

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by jkormann, Nov 11, 2017.

1. jkormann

jkormann Podium

TL;DR: Go to AskFred.net to look for a club near you.

I've been to a few non-USFencing events (inter-school club, inter-Y) and parents or competitors will ask where they can find a professional club. I use the term professional club as a dedicated facility place with lessons given by dedicated coaches. I know excellent coaches who drag their equipment to places, and give fantastic lessons; this is not to disparage them.

Usually they are asking to find a coach (in the case of the inter-school event), or get an idea where their son / daughter can go further in their fencing career. If it's my student's parent, I talk freely; otherwise I refer them back to their coach.

Back on topic -- I've found that while there are many only resources (FdN has a Fencing Clubs search), many of the listing are outdated or incorrect. And submitting updates is difficult. US Fencing has a listing, but it's not current either.

I tell people to use AskFred. Easy search capability and the information is usually pretty current. Look both at upcoming events, and events that passed. Most active clubs will host an event once a year, and have good contact information.

2. tsbphd

tsbphd Rookie

I would also suggest to use Google. In today's world it is quite easy to be found on search engines such as Google and using terms such as "fencing" and "club", "academy" or "training" along with the desired location or state can bring up many options.

3. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Holy cow! That means that I've officially turned the corner and become a professional club?!? I've even got a sign and everything...
    [​IMG]

Funny how in my imagination, there was more money in being a professional club. :cool:

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  4. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Professional != Profitable.

InFerrumVeritas and Strytllr like this.
  5. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Like the Underpants Gnomes, you have somehow missed Step #2.

Strytllr likes this.
  6. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Heh! No joke! Me, this guy and most every liberal arts major in the country. :p
    upload_2017-11-15_8-44-37.jpeg

Attached Files: