How one man continues to push the envelope - with screws

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by mfp, Jul 12, 2018.

1. mfp

mfp Podium

I want to publicly thank and congratulate Ricardo Arveras Garcia @rarveras for his invention of NEPS - "New Epee Point Screws", his refinements of his invention (making them magnetizable) and how he keeps advancing the availability and distribution of his product.

I've been using NEPS for six years now. Before NEPS I lost about a screw a week. With NEPS, I now go several months between losing screws. And when I do lose a screw, I can easily spear either end of a NEPS and install it, unlike with a traditional screw where I can't even tell which end the slot is on since my close-up vision is bad.

Back in 2012 when I first ordered some NEPS, Ricardo was hand addressing shipments and mailing orders out from Barcelona. (I recently rediscovered that first envelope and a couple of those screws). While he processed orders quickly, it was great when he arranged with some US vendors to carry NEPS and you didn't have to wait for mail from Spain.

Today I was scrolling through my Facebook feed and see a sponsored advertisment for ... NEPS. It linked to an Amazon listing which shows that in my area if order NEPS by noon today they can be delivered to my doorstep by 8 PM for same day NEPS. Wow. Just wow.

Stence, EldRick, oiuyt and 1 other person like this.
  2. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Just wait until you can have them delivered to strip J4!

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I wish he'd go into production on the foil version, but there may not be enough interest.

4. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

They're retained by tip tape, though magnetized would ease point reassembly.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Screws back out enough to let the tip shoot out even with tape on, sometimes.

But for me it's not about holding the screws in...it's about getting them in in the first place.

Some German points have the screw hole countersunk slightly...that helps guide the screw into place and makes it a tad easier to get it started if you've had to remove it.

Others have no such feature, and it can be a pain to line up the screw properly....sometimes you'll turn the driver and it'll slide out of position or even get lost. That's not good if your hands are shaking or that was your last screw.

The foil version of the NEPS used the same specialized driver as the epee version, and the same control of the screw was there.

6. brtech

brtech Podium

You know the trick about rotating the screw counterclockwise until it gets into the right position and then rotating clockwise to thread it in, right?

The best solution though is a really good screwdriver. I personally like the Moody Tools Magnetic Handle driver http://www.moodytools.com/MTI_CATALOG_PAGE_6.pdf It has a strong magnet that never needs to be remagnitized. Very smooth action, sturdy tool, and you can replace the blade.

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yes...do it all the time...but sometimes the screw still slips.

8. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I think the big thing is that screwless tips for foil are more practical than those for epee. So if a foilist is unhappy with the current screws they can just get rid of them.

9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Have they been out long enough to get an idea if they have the same problems the estocs did?

10. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Not trying to be a na-say'er or party pooper, but: I am the guy folks bring their weapons to to "figure" out what is wrong with them and get it fixed, aka: we fix broke!

The dude from Spain: Nebs, great idea for screws. Reminds me of the plastic epee point from years ago.

Here lies my issue with them, the problems they cause, and my solution to fix the problems they cause.

Problem:
    These screws are made so that you can use either side of the screw in the tip. If you look really close, you will find a collar right in the middle of the screw. That little collar causes a ton of problems (IMO). Here is what happens: that collar digs a channel in the sides of the slot of the barrel on both sides of it. Yes, digs metal channels. Now, for those that are going to bash me due to loyalty, do yourself a favor, look for yourself, don't rely on just what I am telling you. Now, as these screws dig channels in the barrel, where do the suspect the metal flakes go? Yep, inside the barrel.

Cause:
    Here is what I get: Hey Gary, for some reason my weapon will not fire, or I am getting ghost touches or my point just does not go up and down like it used to, its scratchy??

Solution:
    I pop the tip out, first thing I notice is the screws. I toss some deoxit down in it, Q-Tip it and find a poop load of metal shavings inside the barrel. Hmmmm? Wonder where that came from?? Then I look at the channel holes on the barrel and there it is on both sides, these wonderful straight lined ruts on both sides dead center.
    Clean it out, re-level the contacts, test and back to the pods they came from.

I tell them what is happening, the fencer looks at me like with that look of: but you don't understand, these are Neb screws. You get it?? I pop them back in, look at the fencer and say: that will be $15, will that be cash or card, and know, I will see them again! It's kinda like someone that needs brakes on the car. You tell them to replace them, they say they want to wait, problem gets worse, now they come back, and now, you have to replace the pads and the rotors due to the fact, was not fixed in the beginning. Good deal for me!

Opinion:
    If the designer of this screw was able to remove that centered collar that acts like a ditch digger, there would be no issues with this screw on my end.

Again, not putting them down, just informing on what I see.

Gary Spruill

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  11. EldRick

EldRick Podium

Just for the record, they are New Epee POINT Screws, NEPS, not nebs.

twisterfencing likes this.
  12. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

I knew I got close. Thanks

13. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

Dear Twisterfencing,
    Many thanks for your income. I will take a thorough look at your findings and analyze the inconvenients you are pointing out. I remember collar size was redimentioned on former batches to a thinner thickness and height design. It also can depend on the barrel's brand ( You know there is no brand extactly the same (as well as with the tips) ).

I would be most thankfull if you could please help me with this particular info and tell me which barrel or Tip/ barrel combination you found this issue with?

Thanks again for your income. I'll do my best to solve it, just because I think the benefits of the collar are quite enough to keep it on the design.

Best Regards to you and every one of your Armory Community !

14. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

Many Thanks

15. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

Many thanks for your kindness. You were the ones who first accepted my idea and encouraged me to improve it!. As this is a never ending improvement cycle, I thank you for your incomes to get NEPS design even better. Please extend my salute to the Fencing.Net Forum Armory Community !

EldRick likes this.
  16. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I made mention of making them stick to a magnetized driver as well.

What's the official word on the foil version....yes, no??

17. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

I think magnetizable is the proper word. The samples I sent you weren't magnetized, but should be magnetizable.
    My intention is taht they could stick to the driver, just as the NEPS epee screws do

18. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I think making that change to the NEPS was the best thing you did for convenience.

So are you going to go into production on the foil version?

19. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

Not yet . I'm sorry. Still no funds. That's the one and only truth.

20. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I certainly understand that.

But does that mean you WILL come out with them if the money turns up?