How one man continues to push the envelope - with screws

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by mfp, Jul 12, 2018 at 2:19 PM.

1. mfp

mfp Podium

I want to publicly thank and congratulate Ricardo Arveras Garcia @rarveras for his invention of NEPS - "New Epee Point Screws", his refinements of his invention (making them magnetizable) and how he keeps advancing the availability and distribution of his product.

I've been using NEPS for six years now. Before NEPS I lost about a screw a week. With NEPS, I now go several months between losing screws. And when I do lose a screw, I can easily spear either end of a NEPS and install it, unlike with a traditional screw where I can't even tell which end the slot is on since my close-up vision is bad.

Back in 2012 when I first ordered some NEPS, Ricardo was hand addressing shipments and mailing orders out from Barcelona. (I recently rediscovered that first envelope and a couple of those screws). While he processed orders quickly, it was great when he arranged with some US vendors to carry NEPS and you didn't have to wait for mail from Spain.

Today I was scrolling through my Facebook feed and see a sponsored advertisment for ... NEPS. It linked to an Amazon listing which shows that in my area if order NEPS by noon today they can be delivered to my doorstep by 8 PM for same day NEPS. Wow. Just wow.

EldRick, oiuyt and just_some_guy like this.
  2. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Just wait until you can have them delivered to strip J4!

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I wish he'd go into production on the foil version, but there may not be enough interest.

4. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

They're retained by tip tape, though magnetized would ease point reassembly.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Screws back out enough to let the tip shoot out even with tape on, sometimes.

But for me it's not about holding the screws in...it's about getting them in in the first place.

Some German points have the screw hole countersunk slightly...that helps guide the screw into place and makes it a tad easier to get it started if you've had to remove it.

Others have no such feature, and it can be a pain to line up the screw properly....sometimes you'll turn the driver and it'll slide out of position or even get lost. That's not good if your hands are shaking or that was your last screw.

The foil version of the NEPS used the same specialized driver as the epee version, and the same control of the screw was there.

6. brtech

brtech Podium

You know the trick about rotating the screw counterclockwise until it gets into the right position and then rotating clockwise to thread it in, right?

The best solution though is a really good screwdriver. I personally like the Moody Tools Magnetic Handle driver http://www.moodytools.com/MTI_CATALOG_PAGE_6.pdf It has a strong magnet that never needs to be remagnitized. Very smooth action, sturdy tool, and you can replace the blade.

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yes...do it all the time...but sometimes the screw still slips.

8. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I think the big thing is that screwless tips for foil are more practical than those for epee. So if a foilist is unhappy with the current screws they can just get rid of them.

9. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Have they been out long enough to get an idea if they have the same problems the estocs did?