How much does this cost?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by RECON, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Alexander Kai

Alexander Kai Rookie

This whole thread is a giant wall of green, and I fail to see too much relative information, except from when it comes from a reliable source. That being said, let me outline what I feel are the basic costs of fencing per year, in my region, assuming that you pay for all food, gas, and hotel on your own.

Equipment, 150-200$ depending on quality
    club fees 160$ per six weeks for classes
    private lessons - 40$ for the hour at 1 hour per week
    Tournament entry fees - average of 120$ per month (once a week at 30$ per week)

One time start up cost* = 200$
    One year of fencing classes = $1440
    One year of private lessons = $2280
    One year of tournaments = $1440

~~~$5200**~~~

*If you treat this as a yearly cost it can be used to pay for maintenance.
    **Yes, this number is quite off, its an approximation

I mean that's not too bad on a yearly basis, is it?

2. PeterGustafsson

PeterGustafsson Rookie

Hi!

In other words, you are saying that basketball has at least 25,000 times more people involved than fencing. If the USFA has some 20,000 members, that would put US. basketball at 500 million. That is considerably more than the US. population.

If you want people to care about what you say, check your numbers first.

Peter Gustafsson

3. keith

keith Podium

It's a hell of alot cheaper than having kids.

Alexander Kai likes this.
  4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

There is no such thing as talent; only the amount of "deliberate practice" matters to success. Didn't you get the memo? ;)

Well, this is true of almost everything: All else being equal, the lower the price, the greater the quantity demanded. The problem is that all else is seldom equal.

5. RECON

RECON Rookie

That's actually a very interesting point and I'm glad that you brought it up. There are approximately 600,000 fencers in the world. There is approximately 6,000,000,000 people in the world, therefore 1 out of every 10,000 people is a fencer.

It is a pretty commonly known fact that about 1 out of every 3 people is a basketball player. That makes 2,000,000,000 basketball players in the world. That is a lot more people than fencers.

But I'm glad you know how to do math

6. Alexander Kai

Alexander Kai Rookie

Inq, I appreciate Ceterus Paribus (sorry if that's spelled wrong, its been a while)

That said, I don't think he'll understand your mastery of economics, oh great one.

7. milstdfarm

milstdfarm Made the Cut

It's not about money. Fencing is as cheap or cheaper than other sports. You can spend as much as you want. You can also get plenty of fencing on the cheap.

I coach a fencing club for free. We get free practice space from a local community service organization. I ask kids to pay $15 per year to join but I've had kids fence for a year without ever paying. I bought the practice gear. I let them use my electric gear. I managed to get our club admitted into a fencing league whose non-USFA tournaments only cost $10. It costs my fencers less than $100 per year to fence. Yet I still have parents tell me it costs too much to drive 45 minutes to a tournament. People bi*tch. It's what they do.

The difference between fencing and other sports like soccer, basketball, etc. is that because fencing is a small sport, pretty much any fencer can travel to national events. That does cost.

If you just like to fence, you can still find plenty of cheap opportunities even if you have to fence in a corn field with us!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  8. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

It is a commonly known fact that commonly known facts are never correct. PARADOX

9. EldRick

EldRick Podium

A really silly thread. I repeat my assertion that fencing is dirt-cheap by comparison to skiing, golf, tennis, equestrian sports, bicycling, and many other Olympic sports, etc. Hell, you can buy every piece of equipment you'd need for the first two years of fencing, including clothes, mask, blades, etc., for under $400 - don't try that with skiiing...

If you are talking about national-level competition, Any sport is expensive, and most of it is travel costs.

As to Northwest.org fencing, a year's membership is $100, unless it went up this year.

You want lessons? Bridge lessons will cost you as much as fencing lessons...

10. Stan4ik75

Stan4ik75 Rookie

RECON, the cost associated with competitive fencing, is very much comparable to many other sports. It sounds like you're proposing a solution before defining what's the real problem is. There are always going to be $$$ associated with ANY competitive activities.

Good fencing coaches are not going to be cheap! In most professions, people on top of their game, are typically more expensive (for example: if you're being accused of murder, you'd probably want Alan Dershewitz to be your lawyer, who is won 12 out of 14 such cases. He is NOT going to be cheap).

Club fees is a reality of any sport. Owners take a significant RISK. They lease the space and often spend a significant amount of money and sweat to outfit their facility (in places s.a. Manhattan, the costs can top $230K per year).

Equipment cost is actually at the bottom of the list of problems associated with our sport. Now days, you can reasonably outfit yourself for $250-350 for a few seasons (add a few bucks for blade replacements) and comfortably compete in any non-FIE tournament. That's about a week worth of wages for a part-time HS student.

FYI: fencing community is way too small for companies such as NIKE, to concentrate on our market beyond making shoes, which were designed primarily because of their 2008 Olympic contract. Even the 2nd release of the gray Ballestra was met with significant internal resistance, because the sufficient margin could only be made if fencers would buy a VERY significant quantity of their product. In addition, NIKE likes to make higher quality product while making profit, so don't hold your breath for anything cheap coming from them.

11. crquack

crquack Rookie

True that. I fence twice a week for $3.70 a pop.

Fencing is a small sport because it is - well, small. There are not enough clubs in our region to accommodate the interest. That there is interest was demonstrated when we had an "official" club in town: It was full to overflowing. Then the guy who was running it got injured and closed the club down. To my knowledge none of the members could be bothered to travel 100 km once a week to the neghbouring town.

The costs for beginners were negligible - most of the equipment was provided and the fees were reasonable. If you wanted your own kit, well, we all know how that goes. At the recreational level the costs are well below golf, fishing, trap and IPSC. Probably about par with tennis. Ping pong - well, I have seen recreational players with $300 bats!

I am puzzled about the pre-occupation with competitive fencing. I am pretty sure that at least in this province the recreational fencers far outnumber competitive fencers.

I am fairly certain that fencing would take off if it ever reached critical mass in terms of numbers of clubs. There are a few things that the existing clubs could do better: One of the most irritating features is the 'seasonal" aspect, i.e. closures for school holidays. I wonder how many promising fencers gave up because they could only fence 30 or so weeks a year. Another aspect is the lack of attention to intermediate fencers: The "coaches" teach the beginners during the prescribed course but when any of them come back to fence after the course has finished, they are on their own. Presumably this is a financial issue, too delicate to enquire into directly, but irksome nevertheless. Or it simply reflects the coaching skill level.

12. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

It mostly reflects the coach's unwillingness to run a business, or run it effectively. I know some very rich fencing coaches. Most of the rest don't seem to bother.

13. RECON

RECON Rookie

This is very true

14. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

But at least afterwards you have a way to get across the river.

15. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

But at the cost of being able to keep the cows in the field. Both have their advantages.

-B

16. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Tsk. Anyone who has had proper bridge lessons would know how to install cattle-guards.

Of course, some unscrupulous bridge coaches might withhold that lesson in order to retain the student and his fees...

17. piste off

piste off Podium

If he never tolled the student about that I would think it would draw some criticism and potentially lead to his suspension.

R-

18. Alexander Kai

Alexander Kai Rookie

But wrt to bridge lessons suspension isn't all that bad.

19. D'Art

D'Art Rookie

I can see I'm gonna have to adjust your dose Alexander...

20. Alexander Kai

Alexander Kai Rookie

This means I get more red bull cola and tigre blood, right? Are you also going to add gorilla testosterone?!?!?! =D