How much does this cost?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by RECON, Apr 22, 2011.

1. RECON

RECON Rookie

I heard that fact from a PWF fencer. It was a few years ago, so maybe do some more thorough research in like 2007-2009 time frame. Please let me know what you find and share it with us.

Another way to promote the sport is through entertainment. Some of the Eastern European and Middle-Eastern federations have pioneered making a "Pro Wrestling" style TV show about fencing. The shows feature "extremes, characters with outrageous uniforms, story lines, rivalries, main events, bout modifies, and fencing bouts realistic combat blood . . . " (I apologize for Google translate). Fencing has grown rapidly in popularity since the emergence of those shows - for better or for worse.

2. RECON

RECON Rookie

Many of these kids get a new FIE uniform every year, new top-of-the-line sneakers every year/6 months, a new FIE blade every 1-2 months, and go to many NACs. We're talking enough money to buy a pretty decent new car every year.

3. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

You just changed your argument from "fencing is small compared to other sports because it is too expensive" to "some fencers spend a lot more money than they need to." If you want, I can find out what one of my friends spends on ultimate because she travels to tournaments all over the world. That is not a comparison between sports.

4. RECON

RECON Rookie

So you're basically saying: "Money isn't a problem at all . . . it only caused my team's program to completely collapse, shattering the dreams of fencers who can't afford Ivy league schools in years to come . . . money isn't a problem at all."

5. RECON

RECON Rookie

Many of my friends are on national teams and travel all over the world. The kids on the world teams don't spend as much money because the federations pay for them.

It is still the same argument because the class of snobby rich kids who can afford it throw their money around stupidly. I understand you are from Oregon, probably Northwest Fencing Center, possibly one of the most successful clubs in the United States, but the people I was referring to were the NYC area fencers. The few fencers I know from Northwest Fencing Center are indeed very careful and understanding people and do not throw money around stupidly.

6. AndrewH

AndrewH Podium

I was outlining how it's not necessary to spend a fortune to compete at a high level.

Rutgers' fencing program was cut ostensibly for budgetary reasons, but the underlying objective was to re-direct that funding to the football program. I suggest you look up the threads on the subject, as there is plenty of information out there. Lack of money was not the cause of the team being cut.

7. RECON

RECON Rookie

Oh, so it wasn't because of the money, it was because the team was just bad. If the team was better, it would not have been cut. You, being a member of this unskilled team when it was cut, show to be unskilled at fencing. You evidently did not compete at a "high level", and therefore your statements are not reliable, and your argument is invalid. Thanks for playing, though.

8. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

Actually, I am not at Northwest Fencing Center. I drive 2 hours to train there when I can, which is a couple times per year. My current fencing costs are far less than what I outlined in my earlier post since I do not pay club fees anymore and only have time for a few tournaments and a couple lessons each year.

So what you're saying is that you want to whine and complain because some NYC fencers have more money than they need and spend it on fencing? I fail to see the problem.

9. AndrewH

AndrewH Podium

Yep, looks like I'm done with this thread. Enjoy.

10. piste off

piste off Podium

Funny, I fence in the best clubs there and can't think of anyone who fits that description. I think your data may be off or you may have some misinformed bias.

R-

11. RECON

RECON Rookie

In my original post, I state that the snobby rich kid social class within fencing makes the fencing community look bad. This lowers the attraction to fencing as a sport, and is simply one of the reasons why fencing is not growing as a sport.

When I went to a world cup in Budapest, this was extremely evident. One of the US kids showed up to his pool that morning clearly hungover, and another boy was complaining to his mom that the gatorade flavor she picked was bad and it is making him fence poorly. That is just one of the many examples of the social class that I speak of.

In general, fencing is indeed a great sport, and I think everyone could agree that if everything about it cost less money, it would just make it that much better.

12. vivoescrimare

vivoescrimare DE Bracket

Its rapidly becoming pretty evident that some people in this thread have little (no) qualifications as fencers, referees, or coaches. Their sole contribution seems to be jealous rage aimed at NYC area fencers who are more successful, with or without the application of ridiculous sums of money. Your whining is noted. Moving along...

MBalderson likes this.
  13. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

I did not know you had to be rich to be hungover or complain.

vivoescrimare likes this.
  14. RECON

RECON Rookie

Perhaps they act differently around you. I am just basing my statement around the opinions of other fencers from other parts of the country, of all different economic backgrounds. One of the fencers I speak of, in terms of the snobby rich kid social class, in the NYC/Tri-state area, is a very good friend of mine. His name will remain anonymous, but he even agrees that sometimes he acts like a spoiled rich kid, and that those actions create a bad image in and for the fencing community.

15. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

You just have to be rich to be hungover and complaining in English at a world cup in Budapest. What Recon missed is all the teenagers hungover and complaining in Magyar.

16. RECON

RECON Rookie

Many of you could be right, and I could be wrong. I hope, that for the sake of humanity, that I am wrong and that those kind of kids do not exist. That is why I posted - to see what others have to say about the situation and learn from their opinions and experiences. DangerMouse, piste off, and other people have made very good points and for that, I thank them.

It is in my honest opinion that if everything in fencing cost less money, it would help the sport grow.

Another way to help the sport grow, while not costing a lot of money, is through the forms of entertainment pioneered by the Eastern European and Middle Eastern federations. I mentioned it in an earlier post, and I believe it is currently at the top of this page.

17. rudd

rudd Podium

It's a European Cadet Circuit event, but please don't let me interrupt your tirade.

18. RECON

RECON Rookie

There's also world cups in Budapest, it's one of the fencing capitals of the world, a lot of events take place there. But I'm glad to see you know something about fencing.

19. DJ Apostrophe

DJ Apostrophe Podium

20. erooMynohtnA

erooMynohtnA Podium

Did she get him grape? If it was grape, I would have *****ed at her too.