How many masks do you all have?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by ifencegud, Feb 9, 2019.

1. ifencegud

ifencegud Made the Cut

Just posted about new mask recommendations, but here's a little more...how many masks have you all gone through/currently have?

I'm planning on getting a new mask in a bit and I kind of like a PBT white FIE mask (like that scene from Die Another Day). I currently have a normal black mask that isn't doing too poorly. However, I also sort of want to paint that one just for fun...point being, if I get the white mask and paint my original one, I won't have a solid black backup, which would require three masks. Maybe a solid white mask isn't exactly a pattern, but yknow. :/

What do you all think? Just get a normal black FIE mask? What if I got another cheap mask to paint and keep the first as a backup? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
    -i

2. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

A competition mask in great shape, and a practice mask that varies in shape depending on age.

3. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

At the moment, no more than 4. My prime competition mask needs to be updated to the new FIE standards, at which time my current competition mask will become my daily and my daily will be retired to sit next to my old dailies. It's the internal fabric which wears away normally (the update to FIE is welcomed as it means the back strap will be more easily replaced). And what do you do with the retired masks? Keep them for Halloween?

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I have never had a "normal black FIE mask". Or a non-FIE one either. :p

I must have had at least a dozen masks over the years, including the stupid visor one which I used about 3 times before they banned them and is still gathering dust somewhere 'cause I can't sell it or give it away either. :mad:

Currently one mask, I just switch out the bib for practice or competition.

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

1 epee and 2 sabre. Epee for teaching foil, sabres for my class (one for me and one to loan out). Also have 3 sabre lames and multiple body and mask cords for that same purpose.

6. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Use your fanciful-mask funds for lessons.

Quinn and Inquartata like this.
  7. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Wait, what? Ok, you want to paint your mask. And you're worried someone won't let you fence with it at a competition? So you need a backup. And you want a white mask. Ok. Why do you need a black mask too? Do you have black shoes you need to match? No white masks after Labor Day?

I have never seen a painted mask be disallowed at a local event. Flags, shapes, whatever. If you're going to paint something like Milanoli's evil clown face on it, yes, have a backup. But for god's sake you don't need two backups, lets be reasonable here.

What are you going to paint on the mask?

sdubinsky and Inquartata like this.
  8. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

Maybe I’m missing something but is there a situation where an FIE White mask would be disallowed??

9. ifencegud

ifencegud Made the Cut

ffffffff i dunno

I think I’m holding off on getting the white one. I dunno, a solid mask should always be permissible, but yknow. Sometimes I just want to be part of the pack. I was watching James Bond clips, and the white did look pretty cool tho... Little bit of a thought train I ended up posting :)

I bring up wanting a new mask is because my birthday is coming up and I may get nice things early. I thought I’d ask for something like a new mask — my current one doesn’t have removable padding (a mistake while buying) and it’s a pain to wash. Still safe, but getting funky. I don’t see a need to replace everything yet, but I think an upgrade for my face should be OK.

As for painting, the sky’s the limit. I was thinking Mickey Mouse, but on a separate note, his ears may not fit on the mask, so I might just paint that one white. I guess I could always repaint it if I wanted to.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  10. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

As long as we're on the subject of masks, what about the replaceable liners? I've been looking at the new crop of FWF. (They fit my head.) And note that they now advertise an epee mask with removable liner. But no mention of the price of a new removable liner. You remove it just to wash? Any comments on masks with removable liners? Any advantage/disadvantages to them. Other than the obvious.

And any commentary about different manufacturers and where they actually make the masks? I've had a vendor rebut the view stated by an armorer that Ulhmann masks are made in China, shipped to Germany where the addition of a single rivet allows them to claim the masks are German manufacture. Anyone knowledgeable enough to comment? And regarding quality, asking who is in the upper echlon of FIE mask manufacturers?:
    Leon Paul (Brit), FWF (German), Negrini (Italian). Where does Uhlmann fit and are there others worthy of consideration?

11. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

I laughed way too hard at this. Well played.

12. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I have two masks, one for foil and one for saber. I don't see a compelling reason to have more than this, until one wears out.

13. neevel

neevel Armorer

I've had 6 personal masks over the 32 years of fencing. Currently I have a ~10 year old Leon Paul exchange mask, and just swap out bibs for foil and epee. IMO, unless you have a compelling reason to prefer something else (such as fit & comfort), you are going to have a hard time beating the X-Change for longevity- all of the parts that wear out with use are user-replaceable, so as long as the mesh shell holds up you are good.
    For the previous masks I owned, one was the cheap starter mask from which I upgraded when I knew I was staying with the sport, and the rest were replaced when the interiors got worn out.

Gav likes this.
  14. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Dishwasher. Don't use dry cycle.

15. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Podium

I currently have two exchange masks. One is my backup/rapier mask. The other I keep at the club for practice and competition.

16. Gav

Gav is a Verified Fencing ExpertGav Moderator!!

You only need 1 mask. It needs to be in good shape but other than that - 1 mask, that's all. Masks are an expensive outlay but [thankfully] last a long time. Buy one mask.

Over my lifetime in the sport I've probably bought 6-7 masks. That's about 25 years worth.

If you're wealthy, by as many as you like. Collect them!

(I own an Exchange mask with the completely removable padding. Best purchase I've made, but they are not cheap... Wipe the inside of the mask, clean the padding in the washing machine - it is excellent,)