How did you all actually get into fencing?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by WilliamTi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. WilliamTi

WilliamTi Rookie

I’m just curious, it’s not exactly a big or overly publicized sport.

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Summer break between high school and college. Friend had 2 live steel cavalry sabres on his wall. We're in front of his house CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY hitting them together.

Car drives past....stops....window rolls down...

"Go find a fencing club and get outta the street!"

Windows up...off he goes.

I found there was a fencing class at San Diego State and joined up.....

3. RunAmok

RunAmok Rookie

Took fencing as a phys ed class freshman year in college. The instructor was very attractive so I never missed a class - joined the team the next year.

4. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I followed a girl into the fencing club. She left, I didn't.

JSWGFA and Mia Malverick like this.
  5. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Father forbade seventh-grade football. Twin classmates brought me to their club.

6. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Did not mesh with team sports growing up, wasn't so keen on the throwing and catching either. Mom told me to join the school band or take up a sport so I wouldn't be a couch potato. I saw a local sports club had a fencing class, which caught my eye since I knew a distant relative of mine was a famous fencer. Even though I wouldn't say I was naturally gifted at the sport, I worked hard and became a 2-year NCAA div1 starter. Now graduating nearly 13 years after I started fencing but I don't intend to stop. Only 18 more years til veterans!

7. Linkbane

Linkbane Made the Cut

Had a program at my middle school, was very fun. Followed my coach back to the nearby casual club and went on to a more competitive one later on; some good times.

8. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

My kids cycled through soccer, baseball, taekwondo and swimming, nothing clicked. It was the era of Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribbean, plus they saw some jousting and thought it was cool. A quick google search found a nearby club, and they were hooked from the first minute. 10 years and counting :cool:

9. Philly Diana

Philly Diana Made the Cut

Fall 2014 - almost 10 year old daughter announces she wants to learn how to fence. Find local club. Even better, find Groupon for 1 month of membership/lessons (child is notorious for quitting things). Enjoys it. Gear purchased (two foils, mask, whites, glove, etc. bag) Continues through March 2017 (spring of 8th grade) and in the craziness of the high school application process announces she wants to take a sabbatical - cool. Call club. Club manager says - BTW you have 4 of a 5 pack of private lessons that need to be used in the next 45 days or they will expire. Hang up phone. Yell - GET ME YOUR GEAR!
    I knew the knicker, shoes and possibly glove would fit. I knew that the coach put them through a great high-intensity half hour workout, so I figured, since I've paid for it, I may as well use the lessons. First lesson late March 2017.
    Fast forward - kid quit fencing completely. I fenced my first tournament in October 2017. In 2018, my first full year fencing, I had fenced 23 events (locally, regionally and nationally) and wound up ranked 24 in my age group nationally.

Am crazy enough at this point to be picking up a second weapon and looking forward to the announcement of where next year's national events will be.

NKFA, jdude97 and ReadyFence like this.
  10. tbryan

tbryan Podium

I had seen fencing in cartoons and TV shows, but it somehow never occurred to me that it was a competitive sport or something that I could actually do. The first time I saw fencing in person was at a local Renaissance Festival, where a fencing club had a booth every summer. They'd put you in some gear, gave you a little demo, and then let you try a few touches. My friend and I tried it, and while there were no clubs near me, I decided that I wanted to try fencing some day. A few years later, I was finally able to join a once/week class near me at a local Parks & Rec center, and I've been training/competing in fencing off an on ever since then.

11. sdubinsky

sdubinsky DE Bracket

saw Mariel Zagunis win her first Olympics, saw she was left-handed, thought it was cool cause I'm left-handed too, joined in college and never looked back.

jalamber likes this.
  12. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

My father fenced.
    (Almost made the Olympic team).
    So I started at about 7 years old.
    I almost made the Olympic team as well.

It’s an “almost” family tradition. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  13. swordwench

swordwench is a Verified Fencing Expertswordwench Podium

Wanted to do it my whole life, but grew up... less than privileged... in an area with no fencing. Vowed that I would not turn 40 without learning to fence. Started my first class at 39. Call it a mid-life crisis that never ended.

14. garyhayenga

garyhayenga DE Bracket

I joined the table tennis club as a freshman in college. There were strange white lines pained on the floor. When I asked what they were I was told 'Oh, the fencing club meets here on Tuesdays and Thursdays.' That sounded fun so I showed up one Tuesday. I quickly realized that faster, more athletic, people could be outsmarted, even by someone as slow and uncoordinated as myself, and I was hooked.

Mia Malverick likes this.
  15. Mia Malverick

Mia Malverick Rookie

6th grade, I quit basketball because I was bored of it. My parents said I have to go to a sport, no matter which one, and out of the blue I said fencing (don't know where did I get it from, it just poped on my mind at that moment). My dad was confused but my mum said that her friend is a fencer and she can take her to a fencing club. And she did...

16. JMazzoli

JMazzoli Rookie

Saw either the fencing team or a class where fencing was being taught at the college gym while working out with my girlfriend, commenting that I would like to try fencing some day. Fast forward 20 years, and 10 year old son informed my former girlfriend (now wife) he would like to try fencing. Wife, remembering earlier comment, signed up son and me for evening community college fencing class. Son stopped after a few years, but I continued . . . regularly getting outsmarted by the likes of Gary Hayenga (see comment above).

17. saharafrog

saharafrog Rookie

My daughter read a bunch of Tamora Pierce and J.R.R. Tolkien books in elementary and middle school. Came to me one day and said, "I'd like to try either archery or fencing." According to Google, there was 1 archery place, and 1 fencing club nearby - decided to try fencing first because there was a $20 intro class once a month and that class was coming up soon. She loved it so much she's now fencing in college, and we never got around to trying archery.

18. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Well, when you were born into the Sumerian warrior caste it was just what you did.

sdubinsky, ReadyFence and garyhayenga like this.
  19. Steve Khinoy

Steve Khinoy DE Bracket

On my dead end block, I had done knightly stuff with tin garbage caan lids as shields and broomsticks as swords. That was it. From junior high school on, I developed into the worst football player in my school. (What was soccer?) Freshman year of college, we had to choose a sport for a phys ed requirement. What did I know. I chose fencing over ...I dunno, a ot of other vague possibilities.
    Took the freshman phys ed class, loved it, and was lucky enough to be injured and not fence on the spring semester freshman team.
    As a sophomorre, I developed into, yes, the worst manager in Harvard history. Then I was lucky enough to flunk out for a year. Talked my parents into lessons at Salle Csiszar and was hooked. Fenced in a one-touch epee tournament with Pentathletes and national team members. I was totally hooked. There was this thing about awareness that equalized me with physically and technically superior opponents. I went back to college and didn't develop into the worst fencer ever.

20. Privateer

Privateer Podium

played team sports my entire teenage and adult team. Was playing rollerhockey about 11 years ago and was being treated like crap by the rink management. Decided to vote with my dollar and stop playing. Had seen fencing at the ren faire and in the olympics, always thought it looked cool. Looked around online and found a place relatively nearby. showed up for the 8 week intro class and stuck with it since then. My daughter started when she was 10, did it for about 4 years before she decided to focus on music and AP classes.

I'm not very good, but I'm still there, either too stupid or too stubborn to give it up.