Holiday recipes

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Qbranch, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Qbranch

Qbranch Rookie

The time is ripe for some choice holiday recipes. What are your favourites? For me it has always been mince tarts. The following is an old English combination that we've been using in our house for a few years now. Note that we are completely setting aside healthy eating here... this is pure indulgence!!

Mincemeat:

Traditional English mincemeat is made by allowing the ingredients to steep for a month in Madeira, rum or brandy. The process is speeded up in this recipe by cooking the ingredients, then adding the spirit. Mincemeat improves with age, so make it well in advance of the holiday season.

250 mL apple cider (1 cup)
    500 g peeled quartered apples (1 lb)
    750 mL currants (3 cups)
    750 ML seedless raisins (3 cups)
    550 ML diced mixed candied peel (2 ¼ cups)
    175 mL diced mixed candied fruit (¾ cup)
    1 L chopped beef suet (4 cups)
    550 mL firmly packed brown sugar (2 ¼ cups)
    250 mL chopped walnuts (1 cup)
    5 mL mace (1 tsp.)
    5 mL cinnamon (1 tsp.)
    5 mL ground cloves ( 1 tsp.)
    5 mL freshly grated nutmeg ( 1 tsp.)
    5 mL ground coriander or ground
    allspice (1 tsp.)
    2 mL salt (½ tsp.)
    10 mL grated lemon rind (3 tbs.)
    250 ml rum or brandy (1 cup)

Boil the cider for about 5 minutes in a large heavy saucepan. Add the apples. Cook until soft, then mash. Add the currants, raisins, candied peel, candied fruit, suet and sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for 1 hour.
    Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Pour into hot sterilized sealers, leaving 12 mm (½ inch) headspace. Process for 25 minutes in a boiling water bath. If left sealed, mincemeat will keep for a year. Yields 2.5 L (5 pints) mincemeat.

Note: For a 1 L or 1.2 L (9 or 10”) pie, use about 1 L (4 cups) mincemeat. Add 50 mL brandy to the filling if desired. Bake the pie at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 and bake for another 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Mmmm....:)

2. wrdbrn

wrdbrn Rookie

Dark chocolate dipped bourbon candy... but if i gave ya the recipe I would have to shoot ya - my dad worked on it for 20 years or more... it is a family delight!

DE_Strip_Tease and Fencergrl like this.
  3. DE_Strip_Tease

DE_Strip_Tease Rookie

I'd tell ya how to make fool proof meringue, but then I wouldn't awe and amaze everyone with it. ;)

I gotta go find my recipie book....

4. Timo

Timo Rookie

Mines pilsbury sugar cookies

5. latenight

latenight Podium

Curses....I've been trying to sneak that one out of DEST!!!!! ;)

Bourbon..........YUMM!

6. Qbranch

Qbranch Rookie

Too right... we put bourbon in our pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving (just for a little extra kick)!

Now people, let's not cruelly tempt others with sumptuous treats borne of recipes that will remain under lock and key. If the recipe is going to stay in a Swiss safety deposit box then at least go with something tasty that we can all share. :)

Chefencer - we need you here!
    Nicksmom - how about that cranberry biscotti recipe?

7. Nicksmom

Nicksmom Rookie

I'll get the biscotti recipe posted soon.

8. Nicksmom

Nicksmom Rookie

CRANBERRY HOLIDAY BISCOTTI
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    3/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
    2/3 cup dried cranberries
    12 ounces good-quality white chocolate, chopped
    Red and green sugar crystals, for garnish
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl to blend. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Add the flour mixture and beat just until blended. Stir in the pistachios and cranberries.
    Form the dough into a 13-inch long, 3-inch wide log on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until light golden, about 40 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
    Place the log on the cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut the log on a diagonal into 1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake the biscotti until they are pale golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer the biscotti to a rack and cool completely.
    Stir the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until the chocolate melts. Dip half of the biscotti into the melted chocolate. Gently shake off the excess chocolate. Place the biscotti on the baking sheet for the chocolate to set. Sprinkle with the sugar crystals. Refrigerate until the chocolate is firm, about 35 minutes.

9. Qbranch

Qbranch Rookie

Ooooo... this looks good. Thanks Nicksmom!!

10. Lady Riposter

Lady Riposter Rookie

I'm getting rave reviews of this almond roca recipe. I used a pan the size of a quarter sheetcake to spread the candy in to cool. It popped right out when it was cool, then I used a meat pounder (clean!) to break it into pieces. I did toast the almonds and it was so much better.

Almond Roca

1 tbsp corn syrup
    11/4 cups white sugar
    1 cup butter
    1/4 cup water
    11/4 cups toasted slivered almonds
    1 6 ounce pkg. chocolate chips

In large saucepan, gently boil syrup, sugar, butter and water until hard crack
    appears on candy thermometer (300 F/150 C) Do not stir! This step takes at least ten
    minutes. I mean don't stir after you have initially stirred up to make sure it is well
    combined and dissolved and started to boil. Remove from heat, add almonds and mix well.
    Spread on ungreased cookie sheet and sprinkle with chocolate. chips. As they melt, spread
    chocolate evenly over the candy. Cool in fridge or freezer. Break into bite sized pieces
    and hide them before someone sees you! You can toast the almonds in a fry pan over medium heat until lightly brown.

11. Rin

Rin Rookie

Tiger Butter, cha!

Which isn't really a 'Holiday' treat, it's just really yummy. And easy!!

*One package of white baking chocolate
    *One package of milk baking chocolate
    *A jar of peanut butter, smooth

Ok, so melt some white chocolate in a bowl. (it really doesnt matter how much, just as much as you feel like making) Add peanut butter to taste. I mean "to taste". As in whatever tickles your fancy. See, isn't this easy?

Line a big cookie sheet with raised edges with wax paper, pour pb/white chocolate mixture into pan, and smooth out.

Melt some milk chocolate, again, is doesnt matter how much, just less than your pb/wc mix.

Using a spoon, drizzle the milk chocolate over your mixture. I do this by swirling the spoon lightly in a circle above the mix. Then, using a butter knife (or the other end of your spoon if you don't feel like dirtying up another utensil) swirl the milk chocolate into the mixture so that the pb/wc and the milk chocolate
    are integrated, but still clearly defined.

Ok, if any of that didn't make sense, just ask, I probably didn't explain it very clearly.

I promise though, it is delicious.