High School National Championship at 2019 March NAC

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Zebra, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Zebra

Zebra Podium

This announcement was recently posted in in a magazine/site for sports facility managers and convention/visitors' bureaus:

2. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

The USFA tried to hold a "High School National Championship" in the past but did not do so because of opposition from the various high school conferences who felt that such a competition would:
    - make their own conference championships less important
    - possibly conflict with the scheduling of their events
    - conflict with their participation standards (e.g., academic and attendance requirements)
    - cause the students to have additional absences from class and time to do schoolwork because of the travel
    - cause additional burden on financial resources of both the school, the students, and the coaches
    These were just the objections that I heard before the idea was scrapped because more than one of the conferences threatened to declare any of their fencers who fenced in the USFA's competition to be ineligible to compete or participate in their high schools' fencing programs for the remainder of their high school attendance.

Has the USFA gotten clearance from the various high school fencing conferences to hold this competition?

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

They've not approached the SoCal league about it.

4. bbower

bbower DE Bracket

I hope they have a combined 6 weapon winner. At the going rate of $170 pp for a national competition, your high school can vie for the national championship for only $3,060.

5. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

That’s during the youth NAC? Ok

6. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

In this era of ever-increasing centralization of power and decision-making, not to mention revenue-grabbing, I suspect that these considerations no longer matter much to US Fencing, and certainly not so much as to make it need the permission or agreement of a bunch of high school conferences.

7. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

I don't believe that there is any published information on the format of the USA Fencing HS Championship. For all we know, it's going to be individual-only with no team or squad competitions. It could, in theory, be open to any member who purchased a HS Membership, and simply be an individual competition. Even if there is a squad competition, will it be relay team, or best-of-9?

More interesting is that it's being held with the March NAC. Which often conflicts with NCAA Regionals or Championships, and affects the referee cadre strength.

8. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

They don't need clearance. However the NJSIAA rules (which govern high school fencing in New Jersey), prohibit high school coaches from having any contact with their athletes during the "blackout period." For 2018, this runs March 5 through June 8, and the 2019 dates will be similar.

9. Ancientepee

Ancientepee Podium

I didn't say that the USFA "needs" to get clearance. Obviously, they can hold such a competition and not care that it destroys the high school fencing eligibility of those who compete in it. I was only wondering if the USFA had made any attempt at all to contact the various high school fencing organizations about possible concerns about the USFA holding such a competition. So far, it looks like no such contacts were made.

10. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

An individual competition open to fencers with high school memberships seems most likely to me as a (poorly) educated guess.

11. Diesel

Diesel Made the Cut

There is no way a competitive fencer is going to pay for another membership to participate in this event (unless they offer a scholarship prize! Ha ha ha).

My guess is that it will be open to anyone in High school or comparable homeschool age who wants to participate. I can't see anyone in college trying to sneak in. Biggest qualification risk wil be middle school fencers trying to sign up and there won't be much incentive to stop them, but so what? The event will probably attract eligible y14 fencers who are already there for the coinciding youth NAC, some HS fencers within a reasonable driving distance and very few competitive fencers. It will probably look a lot like a Div2/3 event without college age or older fencers.

Seems like it could be a fun event that has the potential to pull in a few HS fencers who aren't otherwise competing nationally.

Cheers,

12. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Addendum to what I said: I expect it will be open to any fencer in high school including fencers with high school memberships, who otherwise cannot compete in USFA tournaments.

I get why they're holding the high school event at the Youth NAC since there's room for an extra event, and the high school event (like the youth events) don't demand the highest level of refereeing. With that said, it doesn't seem like the best idea to hold this high school event at a NAC with 0 overlap with any other events (maybe it'd overlap with a div2 or div3 event if one of those gets held at the same NAC as sometimes occurs). I see the counterargument that the purpose of this HS Champs will be to pull in fencers with HS memberships who otherwise don't compete in NACs and that they don't expect to get too many fencers off the normal national circuit, but such a goal seems doomed to fail. Does the USFA really expect that fencers who aren't serious enough or don't have enough money to get a full USFA membership are going to travel any considerable distance to fence in his HS Champs? Maybe I'm underestimating the allure of this tournament, but IMO for this event to be successful it needs to both draw in new fencers to NACs and draw in fencers off the cadet/junior NAC circuit.

13. Diesel

Diesel Made the Cut

One more thought..... how angry will people be if adding this event means pushing a competitive youth event to a Monday or Friday? More missed school for competitive kids? Seems like it's a likely outcome given the prospect of adding 6 HS championship events.

14. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

Hence why the Youth NAC, IMHO, is the wrong commingling. Youths are 14+under, which means that 75-85% of high schoolers are too old to do a 2nd event there. If they want to have a bigger turnout, they should combine it with a tournament for cadets and juniors. Like JO's, which is already a weekend that most high school leagues avoid conflicting with. And, in the case of NJ, it would avoid the out-of-season coaching prohibition.

The fact that JOs is already bursting at the seams is a separate problem.

naysayernyc and jdude97 like this.
  15. dsapery

dsapery DE Bracket

All NACs are Friday-Monday, so there's a 50/50 chance that your kid's event is on a Friday or Monday already. Adding HS events won't change that.

16. teacup

teacup Podium

Why would they only want bids for the March NAC from the central, southern or eastern United States?

17. naysayernyc

naysayernyc Made the Cut

Also, the larger events for the youth NAC are pretty busy as well. Flighting for Y12 and Y14MF has been fairly routine. Makes trying to get out on an afternoon flight a bad gamble and makes it more likely that kids will have to miss even more school by having to fly out the next day on a Monday tournament. My kids have been stuck taking really late flights on Mondays because of this. Getting in the wee hours of the morning is not good for anyone.

18. Zebra

Zebra Podium

But they've got the Div3 in March, so a bunch of high school-age fencers will be there.

19. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Referee availability and travel expense perhaps?? They're up against NCAA regionals, so many of the top refs are unavailable.

20. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I hope it's not the wave of the future, eg "from now on we're going to decide in advance which regions deserve NACs". Or even worse, "from now on all NACs will be held in these regions".