Hi Tec and fencing

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Spenzario, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Spenzario

Spenzario Rookie

Hi fencers,

Just a thought, how hi-tec works nowadays and the possibilty of fraud during matches.
    Question 1: can signalling units be influenced by remote controllers? If so this has to be inspected and prevented.

As a teacher I have another thought, at examinations students have to hand in their watches, their cel phones and may not have any earphones. Because of the earphones, all the students must have uncovered ears. Maybe this is to far fetched for sports.
    So question 2 is, should this also be applied in all the sportsevents just to prevent coaching during the matches?

2. LordShout

LordShout DE Bracket

1: Influenced, yes and no. Substantial steps are taken to prevent this, however some (to my knowledge) rely on security-through-obscurity so may have the remote potential of being cracked. Additionally, the boxes have jamming identifiers allowing the directors to identify if there have been any jamming or interference events. Finally, even if one had a functional and sneaky crack it would be very hard to use it successfully in this age of video review.

2: Headphones and all other electronic devices are banned while on strip already.

Spenzario likes this.
  3. Spenzario

Spenzario Rookie

Thanks for your answer LordShout. With the devices it seems quite secure. However we have to continue to pay attention to this theme.
    About the earphones, the students are obliged to use the veil in a way that the ears are visible. And from a religious point of view it is permitted to use the veil this way. This will be in future a point of discussion in sport events.

4. jkormann

jkormann Podium

A veil that covers the ears would nothing to do with it. It would still be possible for a small receiver to be placed into a mask and isn't picked-up by an armorer's inspection (they focus on the face, not padding).

Spenzario likes this.
  5. Spenzario

Spenzario Rookie

True. In this case judges should also inspect the mask. In the past they did for the beginning of each match (safe mask). Now they should also inspect the mask, because ofthe hi-tec, if it has any suspicious contents.

6. prototoast

prototoast Podium

On a related note, it appears one of the French fencers had his phone on the strip. This arguably could have been a black card, as he obviously was possessing electronic communication equipment that could have allowed someone off strip to coach him during the bout. I suppose he could say he couldn't use it to communicate so long as it was in his back pocket, though he certainly could have read a text message on screen when he went to pick it up.

Spenzario likes this.
  7. Spenzario

Spenzario Rookie

One could also use a device, that receives vibration when you are almost passing the last strip!!!

8. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Shock collar?;)

Spenzario likes this.
  9. Spenzario

Spenzario Rookie

Something behind your ear. And what about smartwatches? With examinations all digital devices ar forbidden.

10. Spenzario

Spenzario Rookie

amazing, i just saw it 10 minutes ago, and now it is deleted from youtube!!!!

11. EldRick

EldRick Podium

It is still there - I just watched it.

12. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

To which I can only reply with:

13. Privateer

Privateer Podium

i thought there was a procedure prior to walking to the strip where they get checked for communication devices and what not. so maybe he still had his phone, but no ear buds.... if it was turned up loud enough to be heard in speakerphone, everyone on the strip would've heard it.

Spenzario likes this.
  14. CrestonB

CrestonB Podium

I almost fell out of my chair watching that!

15. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

It has been my go to fencing comedy for some time now....

16. downunder

downunder is a Verified Fencing Expertdownunder Podium

It could not be "arguably" a black card.

17. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Would have to be quite a high voltage to jolt an epeeist out of his trance. But that might induce fibrillation to his leg muscles, causing arrhythmic bouncing. Bad juju.

18. Spenzario

Spenzario Rookie

Just something small ( a smartwatch) that receives vibrations just to advert that one is almost passing the last line. Another type of vibration may mean something else, e.g. the distance etc .... It is just a matter of time until it will be used in fencing.

19. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

You mean, until it will be used in epee.

Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't already.

Spenzario likes this.