Help with a fencing grip

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Deruen, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Deruen

Deruen Rookie

Hello! I've recently had several issues with all fencing grips. I've used pistol grip and french grips only to find that both give me trigger finger ( a form of tendonitis) to the point where I can't close my third and fourth finger anymore. The pistol grip caused the third finger to mess up and the french caused the fourth finger to mess up. Are there any other grips out there other than french and pistol?

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

What KIND of pistol? There are different designs...some of which may transmit more impact to the joint than others.

I had trigger finger years ago...used a Belgian. Still use Belgian, but I'm primarily a sabeur now, so I don't have the same issues.

3. Deruen

Deruen Rookie

I've tried all of them. Main issue is that the grip didn't fir my palm so I would lose a ton of control and stability even with the larger sizes. I currently use a Negrini pistol grip since it gave me the best leverage and control out of all the grips I've tried. I could give a Belgian grip another try.

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

There's always Italian...[​IMG]

St.Meow likes this.
  5. jkormann

jkormann Podium

You don't say if this is for club-level, US events, or FIE. Club-level, check out the Spanish offset. Inq's Italian suggestion isn't bad either. Another idea is to try a smaller grip. I've found a smaller pistol grip forces me to use my index finger more.

6. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee Podium

Zivkovics

K O'N likes this.
  7. monitorlizerd

monitorlizerd Made the Cut

I'm with Mac. I use a Zivcovic B. I have arthritis, and the bigger grip is easier for me to hold. And the middle-finger trigger actually went away. Of course, YMMV.

8. fencer-dad-of-fencer

fencer-dad-of-fencer Made the Cut

You might try a Russian grip if you haven't. Also maybe you could try doing some finger exercises to offset the negative impact of the grip? When my daughter had this, the PT recommended exercising the fingers in the opposite direction, by putting a rubber band around the outside all the fingers and then partially opening the hand against resistance. In her case it worked. Good luck!

9. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Is this caused by you clamping down super-hard on the grip?

DangerMouse likes this.
  10. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

A pistol grip shouldn't be fit into your palm if you're holding it right. Your hand should be relaxed and there should be space between the grip and your palm.

Here are a couple pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steve Khinoy and Privateer like this.
  11. Deruen

Deruen Rookie

I do have a Russian just need get a blade for it actually. My hand issues are most likely from clamping down too hard in the handle. I do know that there always will be a small gap between my palm and handle but it's an issue for me since I get disarmed sometimes and the grips slips when I get parried. I'll give the Zivkovic a try but I've heard that the Italian and Spanish offset handles are illegal. Is that true? I personally love how they look and want to see how they feel but I'' not sire if it's worth the investment or not. I'm a university club fencer that goes to SWIFA Tournaments mainly. Ideally I would like to work my way up to the higher level tournaments though. Thank you all for the suggestions too btw!

12. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

The Italian grip is not illegal. The Spanish offset -- at least as normally conceived -- is illegal; that's why jkormann said "for club-level."

13. neevel

neevel Armorer

Use of an Italian may require you to also wear a bandana and loudly proclaim that you would've beaten Massialas if only the referee had required a fully straight arm for the attack ;)

Emfuser and DangerMouse like this.
  14. Privateer

Privateer DE Bracket

15. Stormbringer

Stormbringer DE Bracket

The original Spanish grip (imagine an Italian, with the crossbar rotated 90 degrees (so that they would be vertical rather than horizontal when the blade is held wire-up) & the two halves of the crossbar offset from each other) is illegal, as is the Spanish Modern (imagine a French grip, with the front two prongs of the Belgian) and the Dos Santos (imagine a Spanish Modern, with the bottom of the rear flared downward to create a wedge).

The Spanish Offset (imagine a Belgian, with the lower-rear prong cut off, and the tail bent slightly upward), the Cetrulo (imagine a curvier Spanish Offset, with the tail straight), and the American grip (literally just a Belgian with the lower-rear prong cut off, with no other modification) are accepted as legal, though.
    Pictured HERE (left to right): American, (true) Spanish Offset, and Cetrulo (mislabeled & sold by Triplette as "TCA Spanish Offset")

16. EpeeBlue

EpeeBlue Made the Cut

My first thought...

17. EpeeBlue

EpeeBlue Made the Cut

LOVE my Spanish offset. I use French a lot too but the Spanish Offset is awesome.