[HELP] Foil point question

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Scott Allen Abf, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Scott Allen Abf

Scott Allen Abf Rookie

Hi there!

I am trying to fix a problem with a foil that has to do with the point, and I am stuck. I was hoping someone here would have an idea.

Basically, I am using one of the little practice scroring buzzers that plug right into your foil, so it will register an on or off with a buzz.

One of my foils works, another does not. The wiring looked OK, so I took off the point and was pulling out the spring with a small metal screwdriver (that I had just used to remove the screws from the point).

Somewhere there, the little buzzer goes off. I can make this go off by moving the spring around with this little metal screwdriver.

Unfortunately, when I put the point on nothing happens. Even with a new spring, and a new point, nothing happens.

I know that the wire is good --otherwise I'd never get the little buzzer to work. So it has to be something with the point, but damned if I can figure out what it is.

Any suggestions? I am basically stuck...

Scott Allen Abfalter
    Knight Blades Fencing
    [email protected]

2. sallearmourer

sallearmourer Armorer

One clean the barrel out two check the spring sometime with german one end is smaller and don't fit right. Being in Flordia corrison is a problem go to a gun shop and buy break free or tri-flow that will help.

Tim

3. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

I do not know of Triflow, but Break-Free would add an insulating coating. It may take off the corrosion, but you would have to make sure it was absolutely cleaned off. I would go with a tuner cleaner, that says safe for plastics. That was made for electronics and electricity, where something from a gun shop would not be.

Tim was right about the spring. When you tried to bring out the spring with the screwdriver, you may have touched the contact with the screwdriver. It would suggest you also clean off the ends of the spring with a small file, emery or sand paper. When you place the spring in the barrel touch just the top of the spring and the barrel to check if it is seated properly. (The buzzer should go off) Also clear off the tip, both the bottom where the spring seats and the collar to give a good connection between the bottom and the collar.

4. sallearmourer

sallearmourer Armorer

I do not know of Triflow, but Break-Free would add an insulating coating. It may take off the corrosion, but you would have to make sure it was absolutely cleaned off. I would go with a tuner cleaner, that says safe for plastics. That was made for electronics and electricity, where something from a gun shop would not be.

If you use tuner cleaner read the label if silicon is in it do not use
    it as silicon will dry and add a insulating coating.

Ted Li suggested using a prouduct call Dpt which is a
    luburate for electrions.

And yes breakfree is safe to use as I been using it for 20 years after Ted Li told me about it.

tIM

Last edited: Jan 14, 2003
  5. Scott Allen Abf

Scott Allen Abf Rookie

For the record, if anyone is interested, the problem was not gunky innards at all.

The problem was that I did not understand that the little screws are part of the circuit. So I was trying to test things before putting them in.

Everything appears to be working fine now!

6. DHCJr

DHCJr Armorer

Thank you, it show how human any 'Experts' are. I am sure none of us thought of having you check that. The positive is that you learned something and you passed on the information. I am sure this will help someone else. It certainly helped me to remember to check and explain everything.

Thank you again,