handshakes, fist bump or elbow bump?

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by PHartman, Jan 30, 2017.

1. PHartman

PHartman Rookie

Not to be too germaphobic, but I've seen fencers take off their mask, wipe their brow and then shake hands. Gross. Hand santizer is flying out of my bag quick! With so many of my kids classmates out recently with flu or norovirus, I wonder what the rules are regarding shaking hands at the end of the bout?JOs are just around the corner and we know teenagers can be germ factories.

2. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

No ref will ever complain about fencers fist bumping or even elbow bumping. High fives are most common among familiar fencers although handshakes still rule supreme.

3. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Plenty of refs will also offer the "ebola elbow" if they have been sick (or are afraid you are!). Most fencers are polite enough to not shake hands if they've been ill (but will of course offer some form of "good show, eh" at the end of the bout).

Privateer likes this.
  4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

And still you will catch stuff from other fencers, because there's an incubation period when they have a virus but no symptoms yet, so they don't know they're sick but can still pass it on to you. Or you touch things they have just touched, like the reel cord socket.

5. Privateer

Privateer Podium

it's the show of respect to the opponent that matters, not exactly how you do it. I always fist bump if I touch my face right after/during a bout. I'm a pretty sweaty dude, so even if I'm not sick, no one wants to touch my sweaty hand.

6. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Another good reason to not shake hands: Pinkeye.
    Shaking hands is a great vector for this. And you can be incubating it without knowing.

7. damianip

damianip Podium

I haven't done the math, but, for me, refereeing a large tournament in the winter distinctly raises the chance that I will be ill later in the week. Despite as much hand washing as possible, directly shaking hands with probably 40% of the field and indirectly with maybe twice that is not a "healthy choice".

8. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

Plus standing on your feet all day, straining your voice talking all day, in a stressful environment, on likely insufficient sleep, potentially dehydrated. Reffing a tournament all day or even all weekend is a strenuous event.

9. Peach

Peach Podium

Best defense is washing your hands afterwards.

10. ladyofshalott99

ladyofshalott99 DE Bracket

Trick Question: If you're attending a Tournament, and you're sick, you deserve all the hate, fire, and brimstone of all parents and working adult fencers in the hall. All. Of. Them.

DON'T SHOW UP SICK
    (unless you're Bout Committee or a Referee, because your martyrdom is truly loved and appreciated)

11. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

*ahem* No love for the armory??? We have the longest day of ANY of the event staff.

12. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Eh. "I'm just gonna skip this tournament and thereby fail to qualify for X 'cause I have a cold and other people might catch it."

Said no fencer ever.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  13. oldfencer

oldfencer Rookie

Unfortunately lots of men don't seem to want to wash their hands after going to the bathroom. I dunno why. The last NAC i was at, about a quarter of folks made a bee-line for the exit without stopping at the sink. A good reason not to shake hands... We need a public service announcement ;)

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 12.57.16 PM.png

Nakita likes this.
  14. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Thanks for that thought, oldfencer. -_-

15. Concord Fencing Club

Concord Fencing Club Rookie

But everyone grabs the grubby floor cord and plugs in. I bet those rarely get sanitized.

Nakita likes this.
  16. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Because we sent away all the floor cord sanitizers on the Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B?

17. DocVic

DocVic Rookie

I thought we were largely their offspring...

erik_blank likes this.