Good training resources for fencing? (video/module/website/etc.)

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by FiREIng maNiac, Aug 27, 2017.

1. FiREIng maNiac

FiREIng maNiac Rookie

I fence epee and two of the best fencers in my club recently left recently - so now I need to be much more self-reliant when it comes to improving my performance on strip.

Does anyone know of any resources - online or otherwise - that I could use to help improve my fencing game? I mostly pommel/post with a french grip, so it its french-grip specific that's a bonus.

2. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Check out Michel Sicard's channel on YouTube. Depending on your experience level, it might be a bit too advanced in his approach.

DangerMouse likes this.
  3. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

What did the departing fencers give you that you hope to replicate?

4. Mitchell

Mitchell is a Verified Fencing ExpertMitchell hi Staff Member

This is a really broad topic, but I think it can almost always boil down to three major categories:
    1. Fence more.
    2. Take lessons.
    3. Get fit.
    There's a lot to unpack inside each one, but generally speaking, just to look at face value - just fence more. Open fence more at practice. Go to more tournaments. Take classes if you aren't. If you are, take private lessons. If you are, take more. Get fit. Work out outside of fencing.

jdude97 likes this.
  5. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

There is a crap ton of full epee bouts on YouTube, including lots with French grips. There was a good discussion relatively recently on FdN of the best French grippers to watch on YouTube -- see if you can find that thread. In watching the bouts, note what each of the fencers are doing. What works well? What doesn't? What do they change during the bout (see Ben Bratton's big comeback from 2017 PanAms)? What should they have changed? What would you do against each fencer?

6. piste off

piste off Podium

Ahhh, Ben fences pistol grip.

Big comebacks are pretty tough with a French grip in épée. Can't recall any memorable ones.

7. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I'm a refugee, away from my laptop and bookmarks so I can't point to specific bouts, but Jung has had some impressive runs to regain the lead, and I think Jeannet did as well. Going back a bit, Milanoli, Riboud, and Boisse père all had good comebacks at one point or another.

8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Displaced by Harvey? Are you OK otherwise?

9. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I'm aware. But a French gripper can still learn from seeing a comeback like Ben's, if nothing more than to see the idea that being down 11-3 doesn't mean the bout is over.

And the three greatest comebacks I've ever seen in my life were done by the same French gripper. 14-11 down vs another French gripper to win a tournament and get his A. 14-7 down in a tournament quarterfinal. And 13-7 down with 90 seconds to go to qualify for JOs. So it certainly can be done.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

10. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Yes! I'm fine, and my wife and house are fine. Thank you for the concern.

I was in Florida visiting my mother when the storm hit. I was supposed to fly back to Houston Hobby on Sunday, but instead went to Dallas. I'm staying with some friends in Denton, and frankly I'd be having a great time if it weren't for worrying about my wife, who's still at the house. But our house is ok, she has power, and I (finally) can fly back on Saturday. I'd have rented a car and driven back days ago but by the time the roads were reliably open Southwest had a reservation for me. I have a feeling, though, that I'm going to be giving a lot of backrubs for the next few months to try to make up for this.

11. piste off

piste off Podium

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Yeah, not so sure about that (learning from Ben's comeback). BTW, not saying it is impossible - just rare. My record is after being down 14-7 against a highly ranked fencer in a national tournament.

BTW - wait and see when they institute the new "shot clock" rule. Gonna tip the scales against french grips big time.

12. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Summarize?

13. piste off

piste off Podium

DEs. Higher seeded fencer starts the bout with priority. If after 45 seconds no touch, fencer with priority gets a touch. Then priority flips. Repeat. Double-touches, priority flips. No Passivity anymore.

The top fencers I've discussed it with all say the same thing... Rewards the more complete fencer. Hurts the defensive fencer who has no strong attack. Makes being able to attack a lot more important.

14. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Good. :)

Everyone I know in Houston, IRL and online, has been OK, their situations much like yours. The news makes it seem as though the entire city was underwater.

15. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Not the whole city, but I couldn't fly back earlier because the roads were not passable. The highway I'd have driven home on looked like this:

I'm an hour south of Houston. Houston itself got hit much harder than we did. 50+ inches of rain!

I think the news did the best they could, but they have a built in drive to find some story full of pathos or something and push it. The Reddit live thread on r/Houston was extremely useful and informative. Lots of twitter feeds, both official and just people sending stuff out, lots of live reports, and anything interesting on the news got posted there as well. Much more useful and complete picture than one got from just watching the news.

Between that and the forwarded internal weather reports and projections from a friend who works at a multinational oil corp. and I was pretty well ignoring the news after the first day or so.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  16. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Interesting. When does this take effect?

I'm not sure it's the death of the french grip, but I guess we'll see. Imagine having to attack Jeannet or Jung, you have ten seconds, he's dead red on counterattack, and if you don't land something it's a touch for him...

In a philosophical sense I don't like this ideas. It's a kind of pseudo-right of way for epee. But in terms of it affecting gameplay, sure, you have to have a real attack and a real defense, both. Ok. What it will get rid of is long stalking actions where you're looking for your opponent to lose focus as you pressure him. Which is too bad; that's a unique to epee sort of action.

17. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

How much do I hate this?

Well, quite a lot, actually.

18. piste off

piste off Podium

Last I heard the final vote is around this month (SEP). Heard it was pretty close to a done deal, and that they want to have it in effect for the next Olympics.

Not the death of the french grip (certainly if your last name is Jung), but really handicaps it quite a bit. Really going to benefit the recent Italian game IMO. It will change the game dramatically.

19. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

To say the least....

20. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Yeah. I mean, arguably it's the end of epee as we know it.

I've just spent a week at my friend's house, waiting to get a flight home. Having nothing else useful to do, I've been crewing on a Viper to cover for a guy who had to take a week off after a cortisone shot. You know, fencing is not the only thing to do in the world.