Gold Mine of US Fencing Membership Date (membership analytics)

Discussion in 'Club Corner' started by Samuel N Lillard, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Samuel N Lillard

Samuel N Lillard Rookie

On the sharing side, each year I pull the end of season membership data from the US Fencing web site: https://member.usafencing.org/search/members I then boil it down to club membership, competitive membership and ratings for our region and then compare our club with others in our region and selected club benchmarks. The data can be very useful in tracking trends over years and setting general benchmarks. It has its limitations but a useful exercise. Attached is the 2018 data for our region for example:

Attached Files:

2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

NYAC is primarily epee. Manhattan Fencing saber with growing foil presence. Fencers' Club strong foil and epee. Columbus Fencing really has only one A out of 168 USFAers?

3. Samuel N Lillard

Samuel N Lillard Rookie

Yes only 1 "A," although we just acquired an new one. However, your question raises a interesting point about what does the number of "A" indicate in fencing business analytics? According to Ross Woods of National Fencing Club Rankings, it takes an average of 5.9 years to achieve a "A" in foil for men and 4.8 for women. See attached for Mr. Woods' interesting chart. Since we opened in 2012 with newbies we are thinking we are on track. So they should start poping like popcorn in the next few year. But I'm open to other interpretations. I am also thinking - with the view towards business analytics: "A"s are a sign of a futile fencing club. Also, "A"s can be categorized as a created "A" or a transferred "A". We now have on of each. I would suggest that an "A" that transfers to a club tells you one thing, and an "A" created from the training program tells you another.

Attached Files:

4. jfarmer

jfarmer DE Bracket

(Coming in a bit late, RL has been occupying my time...)

Have you done any analysis over time? Average membership lifespan in competition? Time to first rating and following intervals?

Can you draw any conclusions irt your club (or others) comparing membership numbers compared to ratings, number of competitions etc.?

(Well aware that one can crawl down the analysis hole and rapidly generate "pretty charts" that tell nothing... :) )