Getting back into fencing. Good or cheap épée for me?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Jamesp11111, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Jamesp11111

Jamesp11111 Rookie

Hi,

I'm getting back into fencing after a 12 year break. I fenced for a couple of years back then so I know I'll be sticking with it.

And I need to buy lots of kit as my old club had loads of stuff to borrow so I only ever bought a 800N plastron. Mostly this is an easy decision: LP team 800N clothing throughout with an x-change mask as it's safety equipment and I live in the UK. Probably also the LP exo-skin glove as well for the same reasons.

I'm not sure about the weapon though: I was planning to hold off, but I do need to get one for drilling away from the club anyway, so should I just get a good one now or a cheap one?

If a good one, it looks like the SR-71 would be the best as I wouldn't know what to look for in picking out a BF. I have seen a few posts though about it losing it's stiffness after a few months.

I'm also interested in all the other parts of the weapon as well. Should these be the best quality as they, mostly, never get replaced?

I'll ask at my club as well, but wanted to get your opinions?

It it makes any difference, I'm a slim 5'11" right-handed pistol épéeist.

2. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I generally don't recommend the LP epee blades to my beginning students because if you hit in such a way as to bend it backwards regularly, the folded steel blades do not recover from that as well as traditional blades.

Blades are a consumable item, so don't buy a blade expecting it to last a long time. Buy cheap to start until you know what you want in a blade, then you can upgrade. At this point, I think nothing of spending a few hundred dollars on blades every few years, but I still buy cheap guards and mid level sockets for my epees. I find that the $6 guards last about 80% as long as the $20 guards, so I just replace them more often. If you are ordering from LP, all of their guards and sockets are high quality, so buying their cheap parts will get you better quality guards and sockets than I generally buy and mine last for years.

3. Jamesp11111

Jamesp11111 Rookie

Thanks, I'll ask at the club about getting the cheap non-FIE LP blade to tide me over then.

I tended to hit softly, so never used to bend blades much. This may have changed now I'm older and heavier though!

4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

The non-FIE LP epee blades generally last a very long time, so that's not even close to what I consider a cheap blade. It's still a good choice though!