George Abashidze

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by dogimus, Aug 7, 2018.

1. dogimus

dogimus Rookie

Anyone know what happened ?

USA Fencing is so vague about this process.

George appears/appeared to be a pretty established coach - three years is a long time to be suspended.

Some of the previous suspensions have a "until conditions are met" which is very vague IMO.

The first suspension (Eric Dew) on the list is over nine years old which is a very, very long time for a suspension.

I am just curious what someone does to get suspended for years at a time.

2. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

Usually a Safe Sport problem of a sexual nature. Can’t speak to specifics but that’s certainly been the case for the last few...

3. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I wouldn't suggest any possible cause of the suspension. Few people know why, let it go at that.

Privateer likes this.
  4. dogimus

dogimus Rookie

There is no Safe Sport violation listed on this particular case. Safe Sport is mentioned on others, but not this one.

5. nasnem

nasnem Made the Cut

No you are wrong. EVERYONE has the right to know why anyone in our organization is suspended.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  6. mfp

mfp Podium

7. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Isn't that kinda the PURPOSE of SafeSport?

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  8. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

I agree that the our NGB is rather vague and less than transparent and as a result some folks who aren't necessarily guilty of all that much get badly tarred. In Eric's case I "believe" it was either he slapped someone (playfully?) on the ass or made a wise ass crack which was used by political enemies to have him suspended. And being a stubborn g*t he refused to kowtow and has stayed on the list. As you note it happened several years ago and I don't remember all the salient details. It's rather sad as he's a really decent fencer, referee and coach if just a touch arrogant. But if that were a serious crime then most fencers would be on the list.

9. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

As near as I can tell SafeSport IMO is a bureacratic operation to CYA for the various NGB's and does little to stop sexual harassment. But does purport to punish it. Though, as has been noted before, we (the membership) are not sure what the individuals are being punished for.

10. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

I suspect that we will all know what happened and why by the end of next week. The grapevine makes all official efforts to maintain secrecy futile.

11. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Some confusion here. Was Mr. Abashidze suspended by the school or by USA Fencing? My possibly erroneous assumption it was SafeSport was based on the OP. If so likely it has sexual connotations. If it was his employer, Penn State?, and not SafeSport it might be something entirely different. Still agree that the non-transparent nature of these suspensions does more harm than good to the sport.

12. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Respected me when I reffed his kids and collegial as cadre.

13. Zebra

Zebra Podium

USFA. There was an announcement sent out (presumably to division officers). Don't know what if any action the school took.

14. Zebra

Zebra Podium

I don't know what the situations are for the cases you're talking about, but I know cases from other sports where a suspension with conditions on reinstatement effectively turned into a ban because the suspended person either had no intent to return or was unable or unwilling to meet the conditions. It could be a non-Safesport violation like embezzling of club or division funds, or some criminal conviction.

15. shkaufman

shkaufman Rookie

Appears to have been a SafeSport issue - see first line in the notice that was emailed out:

On Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2018, the U.S. Center for Safe Sport issued the following decision:

To suspend the USA Fencing Membership of George Abashidze (Member #10015931) for a period of three years, effective Aug. 1, 2018, with any reinstatement to follow the satisfaction of certain conditions.

16. TooLoftheDeviL

TooLoftheDeviL gother than thou

Try "he slapped someone on the ass which constitutes sexual assault."

Seriously, how do you try to take that action and turn him into the victim? It's disgusting.

SenorEquis, jdude97 and Peach like this.
  17. Privateer

Privateer Podium

everyone has the right to know facts, not unfounded speculation.

18. oiuyt

oiuyt Podium

Eric has had two suspensions for separate incidents. The first was for the 2005-2006 season and the second was for the 2008-2012 quadrennium. Each suspension was accompanied by additional conditions that needed to be met for Eric to be eligible for reinstatement to membership. Based on his continued inclusion on the list of individuals under temporary suspension even after the specified time period of the suspension, one can infer that one or more of the additional conditions associated with the second round of discipline has not been satisfied.

Additional details of the suspensions and their conditions can be found in the September 2005 and February 2009 Board minutes.

B

KD5MDK and Peach like this.
  19. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Is there something about Penn State?

20. nasnem

nasnem Made the Cut

And where did I say say anything about speculation?