General Fitness Suggestion needed

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by CaptPirate, Jul 28, 2017.

1. CaptPirate

CaptPirate Rookie

I have been doing some general workout besides regular fencing training to keep myself physically fit and improve stamina, mostly mid distance running and swimming. Then one day it comes to my mind that why don't I do a short distance triathlon, e.g. Olympic Triathlon (under a mile swimming, 25 mile cycling and 6.2 mile running). I have done all those ranges separately, just need to train to put them together.

What do you think about this? I know the question is vague. I am just trying to get some idea whether this would be beneficial? or would do more harm than benefit. Or would a general endurance training better than this?

Thanks in advance.

mpego1 likes this.
  2. jdude97

jdude97 Podium

I'm no training expert but I agree cross-training is very important. Swimming is great exercise, especially for fencers, as it's a full-body workout but no impact on the knees. I'd be wary of the high amount of impact long distance running and cycling might put on your body, but others can comment on this better than I.

I know this isn't what you're asking about, but if you want a fun cross-training sport, consider tennis. I find tennis very analogous to fencing. Quick direction changes, hand-eye coordination, strategic thinking on the fly, short bursts of speed with an overall stamina element.

3. CaptPirate

CaptPirate Rookie

Thank you for the reply. The concern of impact on knees is one of the reason I am debating.
    About tennis, actually that's part of what I mean by general fitness, in the context of alternative aid to fencing training, I did notice the similarities between the two. But I didn't give it much deeper thought than that because I feel like it needs some dedication (and mine goes to fencing already). Unlike individual sports (swimming, running etc) or general cross-training that you can be totally amateur yet still have fun.

4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Running, sure, but what sort of impact do you get from cycling?

5. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

If you like to run bike swim, it's certainly not going to hurt you to do a short triathlon. On the other hand, if you're trying to optimize the time you spent in the gym to have a direct impact on your fencing, you might do some research on "specificity of training" and start looking at your options based on that information.

6. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

You don't give much info about yourself to permit a detailed suggestion. But in general we all go through a series of changes as we age. For instance as we age most of us have some degree of arthritis and particularly in the knees, but also the ankles and hands. So I would suggest getting together with a sports doctor and checking in as to where you are in this continuum. My physical therapists warned me against a lot of running. At one point I was jogging daily but the knees even with glucosamine got to be an issue. So it comes down to working out what is a good regime for you at whichever stage you are at. Good luck with it.

7. robert

robert Made the Cut

I hate weights and running I find them boring and I spent too many years at university rooming with two phys ed students who ran constantly. I swam a lot and played competitive water polo and pickup hockey while fencing in university and my Polish coach always detested swimming as the "tempo is too slow you should run". The best training I have found is to maximize time too fence. Some cross training I would recommend is cycling, soccer (running but more interesting and social), stair climbing for leg power, stretching, skip rope and table tennis. Yes good old ping pong is great for hand eye. If you don't like table tennis squash is a good alternative. Whatever you do it has to provide a diverse work out and meet your fitness goals and keep you interested. Cycling worked for me as I built my commute to college as part of my work out. I lived in a high rise so stair climbing was great for fitness and free. Then stretching and jump rope I could build into my gym time without cutting into my fencing floor time too much. Many of these are good not only for fitness but quickness, foot speed, hand-eye but I still swam 4 times a week because I enjoyed it.

jdude97 likes this.
  8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Lifting weights is dead boring. I can only do it at home, where I can watch TV whilst doing it.

However, I continue to believe that the best exercise for fencing is fencing.

mpego1 likes this.
  9. bbower

bbower DE Bracket

If you can't squat your bodyweight for reps, get there first. Deadlift too.

DangerMouse likes this.
  10. CaptPirate

CaptPirate Rookie

Thank you all.

@Allan. I found myself hard to persist on simple exercise workout. I got a Leon Paul CD, which has a dedicated section for general physical training. But I found it hard to stick to without a trainer or partner, simply because I found it boring.

@Jefferies. That's actually a good idea. I have been talking to a dietitian about diet and hydration. I think it's time to talk to some sport doctor about it. They should be able to offer me advice to my health condition.

@robert, I do skip rope and ping pong as well. Actually, skip rope is the first thing I do before every fencing training session. I found it a good way to warm up, for the coordination. I totally agree with keeping it diversified and interesting. That's what I am striving for. Actually, I've been giving out fitness advice to my friends who are not so active that, keeping it interesting is almost more important than making it productive for beginner. I found running boring too, but somehow my mind is tuned to space out during running and I quickly forget how quick time passes. :)

@Inquartata I have heard that many times that weight lifting is good for fencing. But I have never done it before and sorta afraid to try it out. Maybe I should consider taking some free class from the gym I go to. From your personal experience, in what way do you feel it helps your fencing?

@bbower I used to do that as part of my morning workout. But like many other fitness workout, I found it boring and can't stick to it.

11. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

General fitness and reduced chances of injury.

12. flechewounds1

flechewounds1 Made the Cut

I was looking for the same thing - spent most of the last year doing weights, but bulked up (not all that useful). A place called 9rounds opened around the corner from me - it is a 30-minute kickboxing oriented workout with a walk-in business model. Been doing if for a month now and it has made a difference. If there's one near you, check it out.

mpego1 likes this.