FWF screwless foil tips binding?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by ktinoue3, Oct 29, 2018.

1. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

So I have been to two events with FWF screwless foil tips and have notices they have a bad habit of failing weight tests after a pool bout or two. Has anyone else using these tip noticed this issue? Or have I just gotten really unlucky with a batch of springs?

2. Privateer

Privateer Podium

i've had them fail immediately after re-wiring. re-wired, weight test, passed, finish assembly, clean barrel, tape, fail. remove point, reassemble, fail, over and over, then finally it worked and has worked perfectly ever since. another one, it failed and failed until I replaced the point and then it was perfect. same spring, nothing changed except the point.

3. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Alstars' are sensitive to tip-tightening, i.e. more than finger-tight results in a permanent open circuit.

4. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

My experience with the German designs has been that the Uhlmann/Allstar design has held up to punishment better than the FWFs, which surprised me since, just looking at the two in comparison in the thread I made, the FWF looks like the more robust design. What I'm finding as I use the FWF more is that the barrel wall is too thin, which makes it vulnerable to denting and thus passing those impacts through to the tip assembly. I have had one take a hit hard enough that it quite visibly dented the barrel, damaged the female threads on the barrel, damaged the male threads on the tip insert, and caused some slight binding of the tip. I've had another take a lesser dent and not deform as much, but I suspect this is going to be the weak point of the FWF design. Too thin a wall with too big of a diameter means poorer resistance to radial and hoop stresses from impacts of square-edged blades. IMO they should make these out of the harder steel alloy they use in their "brown" tips.

Still, I'm getting much more life out of these than what OP describes. I did have some initial problems with contact flanges, and the one barrel/tip assembly I've damaged beyond use so far, but I've been using these for months a couple times a week and they're holding up OK.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Privateer likes this.
  5. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

I am not loosing touches just failing more weight tests than I would expect. I will try changing out tips but need to order some more first.

6. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

Compare a new tip to one of the tips you're having trouble with and see if the troublesome ones appear to be binding. If you're not finding that, then you may have some crappy springs.

7. Quinn

Quinn Made the Cut

Having used the FWF screwless points on two foils for a few months, I was going through the usual pre-competition weapon tune up and noticed that both of my foils couldn't lift the weight. New springs, still won't lift. I try stretching the spring and now I can tell that it's definitely stronger than it needs to be for 500g. So I test with the weight again and it still can't lift, though carefully placing it on top, it can hold the weight just fine. Testing with a finger it felt kind of crunchy, like a very dirty tip. So after disassembling the tip again and testing just the top half, the action was not crunchy at all but rather loose. Applying a bit of sideways force causes it to start binding again. With options running out I opted to try spraying some WD40 into the top half, cleaned the conducting surfaces and luckily enough it resolved the issue and I was able to compete with it on the next day. I have no idea if using WD40 could harm the plastics in the tip or cause problems with conduction. It worked great for me, but I can't say whether it will have any negative effects, so don't take this as advice, but more of an FYI thing.

Privateer likes this.
  8. dcchew

dcchew Podium

I don't recommend using WD40 to lube or clean your tips. WD40 is generally considered non-conductive and tends to have dirt and dust cling to it. Instead, use isopropyl alcohol (the purer, the better) or electrical contact cleaner.

Quinn and Mac A. Bee like this.
  9. Privateer

Privateer Podium

you've described my experience exactly.