FWF New Blade Wire Coloring

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by twisterfencing, May 14, 2018.

1. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Just a quick update on FWF Blade wires

I just received a fairly large amount (count) of both epee and foil blade wires from FWF for Summer Nationals and noticed that they changed the coloring of the insulation.

Click here for image
    This link is on our web site, its safe. Sorry about my finger nails, been working :)

We have all seen the milky blue and milky red ones. We have also seen the super dark blue ones as well, now, they have this new type of neon blue coloring.

I did notice that the outer skin does feel different than the milky blue ones.

Note: you can ask if I have tried wiring a blade with one yet or not, but the answer right now as I am writing this, I have not.

Knowing the super high quality standards of FWF, there will/should be no issue, but thought I would pass this information along since my first perception was: Are these from China? They are not.

So, if you order these blade wires from us, or see them in the blades going forward, they really are from FWF.

2. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Update:
    I just wired (10) foil blades with this new blade wire. OK, I like'em
    Glue sticks well, kinda hard to see where the glue is running in the channel, but I could find the glue bubble running in the right light.
    It sticks, backwards bend and all is ok: I'm sold.

Know: its not a normal nyleze and syleze coating. It's something else, but has been run through a acetone accelerator bath to harden to the wire. It is slicker than normal, but the glue absorbs to it like a magnet. Also: I was also able to use the super micro insulation on it without any problems. Slides right on it without a fight.

3. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Any issues stripping it? That was a problem I had when they had the really dark blue coating....didn't want to sand off easily, so I ended up burning, snading, and burning again. A prime reason why I switched to Allstar wires.

twisterfencing likes this.
  4. brtech

brtech Podium

Allstar switched to the new plastic insulation that Uhlmann started offering last year. I hate it. The Allstar one isn't as bad as the Uhlmann. On the dark blue, you cannot see the glue running. You can barely see it on the new red Allstar wires.

twisterfencing likes this.
  5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Must not be in the product stream for me yet....I'm still getting the lighter red ones that strip easily with sandpaper.

6. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Sam
    Stripping: No problem on my end. I use a three sided file and the insulation comes off about the same as any other wire.

Allstar? Really? I guess OK if your in a pinch, they are all good.

Me:
    1. Twister for foil
    2. PBT for foil and epee
    3. Sell FWF foil and epee and use for foils at times - I hate the volcano cup for any use on epee. I personally have (3) tips that that cup was made for. Most - meaning - almost all do not know the *why* that volcano cup is even there.

7. brtech

brtech Podium

Yah, I'm going with PBT now. Same old reliable, easy to glue insulation. And I do like the simple epee cup also.
    But sometimes Allstar is the only vendor at the events I'm at, and if I don't carry enough wires, I get what I can get. That FWF wire looks a whole lot like the new Uhlmann, but the Uhlmann is darker. Lighting at International events is usually lousy and I really need the glue to be highly visible.

8. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

I have found that wearing an LED head lamp is great for catching a glue bead running down a groove. I have some of the Uhlmann wires with the dark blue plastic insulation and I still can follow glue when I wear a head lamp.

9. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Just a quick note,
    This FWF blade wire is *not* plastic in any way.
    When I read the word plastic, I think of someone making a blade wire from some stupid Radio Shack hook up wire. Not saying bad, just not my cup of tea.

I pulled some insulation off the FWF one and its not plastic in any way. Some other material. Don't know what it is.

10. brtech

brtech Podium

I was squatting on the floor in Junior Worlds just outside the call room. Someone needed a rewire, right now! Not even time to go back to the room that had good lighting and a vise. Dark, like backstage dark. I have a headlamp, which I was using. Still really hard to see the bead of glue running down the foil. Not going to try that again.

11. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

No - bad. Pop-ups until Ted convinced me to switch to LP bulk. Rewire once until blade breaks.

12. Emfuser

Emfuser DE Bracket

I'm mostly addressing the appearance. I don't think it's actually plastic either, but it has a polymeric appearance, so "plastic" in terms of appearance is a relatable word choice.

13. Don Treanor

Don Treanor Rookie

If this is the same wire I picked up from FWF, looks like it, there is a blue coating on the "normal" silk insulation. I have found it very easy to wire both foils and epees. The insulation doesn't fray as I'm trying to put the insulation tubing on and a quick swipe with an alcohol pad softens the coating enough that the insulation strips off with my fingernails. I then need to burn the last layer of varnish off the wire, wipe down the bare wire with alcohol again and everything is good to go.

14. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Ted: LP Bulk?
    I want to say I gave Ted about 4 to 5 pounds of Twister blade wire. Wondering what he did with it??
    If I know Ted like I think I know Ted, he most likely forgot he even has it. :) Merda.

Note for attackers: Ted and I are friends, have been for years. I can say that.!