Found one of these stashed away at the club.

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by ktinoue3, Feb 6, 2018.

1. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

2. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Not very. The problem is that if you touch a weapon to the metal case edging you can fry the box. The box, but not yourself.

3. keropie

keropie Podium

I fenced on those for about 15 years and never got shocked... I also never had one die on me, personally, though we did chew through them for a while until we took better grounding precautions.

4. neevel

neevel Armorer

Even if you don't fry the box, touching the metal edging in sabre could cause a touch to be signaled. Ron Herman has a story about noticing this when a couple of fencers were warming up at an international tournament being held in the US- he then had to round up some assistance to cover the trim with tape.
    The other big issue with these boxes (again in sabre) is that they can drop touches. There's a single ADC that's shared between both sides, and switches between them. If a touch is made, but the ADC switches which side it is looking at before the minimum contact time has elapsed, and the blade does not stay in contact with the target for the minimum contact time after it switches back to that side, no touch will register. The discovery of this is what got these boxes ix-nayed for use at any NACs (this was before the stock of SGs for NACs was acquired).

5. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Never mind that they're on old timing....

6. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 DE Bracket

never would think about trying to update the timing or use one of these. More Curious about them I have heard they are terrible but it is nice to know exactly why they are terrible.

7. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Old old old timing at that.

8. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

What was the lockout time...300ms?

9. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Actually assuming TCA is still willing to do it the timing can be updated (I only have one of these machines that's still working, and since I won't use it for saber anyway I couldn't justify updating it from the 2005 timing).

A few things to keep in mind when working with these machines: First - they use a 12V AC power supply (unlike everyone else, who uses 12V DC), so you can't just go swapping it out. Second, It's all too easy to short out the power supply while plugging the 2-pin DIN plug on the power supply into the machine, so to plug the power supply into the machine BEFORE plugging it into an outlet, and to unplug the power supply from the outlet before unplugging it from the machine). Third - when these machines were built in the early 90's the lights indicated touches received rather than scored, so you'll want to cross the floor cords when setting it up (either that or open it up and rewire the lights - which actually isn't that difficult with these machines).

10. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

According to Triplette: "...all TCA machines have a lifetime free upgrade coverage." So it's probably worth giving them a call.

11. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

Assuming they use replaceable chips, as opposed to vacuum tubes. ;)

12. brtech

brtech Podium

Hey, tubes are replaceable. One might argue that a tube is much, much easier to replace than a microprocessor chip.
    The number of tubes needed to build a fencing machine would be pretty substantial, and probably wouldn't fit in a box the size of a suitcase, but hey, it would be cool!

Privateer likes this.
  13. dcchew

dcchew Podium

A scoring machine with vacuum tubes and incandescent light bulbs would definitely heat up a cold salle in the middle of winter.

For those younguns who never dealt with vacuum tubes, always clean the glass exterior with a clean tissue and isopropyl alcohol.. Never touch them with your bare fingers.

I have fond memories of trying to fix the family TV by taking the tubes down to the local 7-11 store and checking each one on a tester that looked like an old school video game.

14. brtech

brtech Podium

Nah, that's halogen bulbs. Tubes weren't that finicky. If a tube was getting so hot that it would matter. something was wrong. You could usually tell that kind of problem by noticing that the plate was glowing, not just the heater. Plates usually did not glow on a properly functioning tube.

15. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Sounds like the old Kessinger machines

16. brtech

brtech Podium

indeed

I think that Alex Beguinet at Duke has at least the case of one of those hanging in the practice room.

17. Quo_Usque

Quo_Usque Rookie

My university club has one of those. It says "Kathy Nemeth memorial scoring box" on it in sharpie and I have no idea who that is. We try to only use it for epee because the old foil timing encourages some bad fencing.

18. jfarmer

jfarmer DE Bracket

I have a slightly newer one of those, TCA switched to the blown-molded Pelican cases and did away with case contact issues. I also have a couple of the slightly cheaper "club" models.

They actually are robust boxes, able to survive hard encounters. Good points? That buzzer can be heard _everywhere_ in the room, and there is never a problem seeing the lights from any angle or room light levels. (And the lights IIRC are standard "trailer clearance light" fixtures so finding lamps and lenses are trivial.

Since Walter sold TCA, I'm not sure what the status is in regards to upgrades.

19. sdubinsky

sdubinsky Made the Cut

When did Triplette get sold? All I can find on their website is "after three years the Triplette family once again controls TCA". But I don't know when that dates from.

20. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Walter sold it to a HEMA / SCA guy for a while, then I think it started going the way of Santellei, and Walter bought it back. Not sure of details past that.