Forum Closure

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Mitchell, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Mitchell

Mitchell is a Verified Fencing ExpertMitchell hi Staff Member

Hey all,

I figured with the closure post from FencingForum, it also makes sense to announce this as well. I'll be closing the Fencing.net Forums to new posts the day after Summer Nationals ends and will be archiving the entire forums shortly after. My intention is for all posts and content to be public and referable into the future.

I wanted to go ahead and make this post now so that we don't get a wave of FencingForum refugees just to also close down a short time later. My original plan was to wait until later in the summer, but it was happening in the short term regardless.

Why? Well, there are obvious reasons, like declining traffic due to social media and declining revenue due to declining traffic. Not enough revenue to pay the bills for the forum. There are strategic ones, like removing the split attention that the forum creates should help create a better primary fencing.net website. There are unfortunate ones, such as a pending legal issue regarding fencing.net that is taking up a sizable amount of attention and money spent on the site. And those are just to name a few.

I also believe that the forum format has moved on, with other alternatives providing stronger functionality for what discussion within this sport needs to thrive. Consequently, I heavily encourage anyone here to create an account and participate on /r/fencing as a replacement for Fencing.net's forums.

I think its also fitting that the Forums here recently turned 20 years old. A good a time as any to hang up the hat. For a blast from the past, take a walk through the Internet Archive's early caches of the forums here.

If anyone has questions, feel free to drop them here, as well as PM or email me directly.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  2. jkormann

jkormann Podium

This makes me very sad.
    Thank you for picking it up from Craig and keeping it going the extra time. I wish these forums could have lasted longer.

3. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

MItchell, I'm sorry to hear this. I've enjoyed the time I've spent on F.net, and I have always appreciated the work that Craig and you have done.

4. ReadyFence

ReadyFence Podium

I am sad as well. I don’t frequent other platforms or social media (too much noise).

5. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Both of the major forums within a week of each other?

Argh!

6. Strytllr

Strytllr DE Bracket

Agreed. this was often the first place that i saw new fencing news...well before any "official" notices. Also, reddit stinks, plain and simple. I'll miss this place.

7. K O'N

K O'N Podium

I'm sorry to hear this. I've enjoyed fnet's forums.

If you're new to reddit and are planning to migrate, I have a couple of tips:

* Have a primary account for stuff like fencing where you plan on using your real name or something like it and on people knowing who you are. If you want to rant about politics or get into insult-slinging arguments or something make a second account for that. You can always dump your "alt" account and start over, but you want your primary account to interact as "you".

* Regardless of point 1 above, limit the amount of personal data you put on reddit. This is true of any online site, of course, but probably reddit even more so. Personally I always use a VPN. Who knows what data sites like reddit are trying to collect.

* If you're going to do more than look in at r/fencing once a week, consider the Reddit Enhancement Suite. It's a plugin that improves the reddit experience a lot.

* Read the reddiquitte page. It's a guide to behavior on reddit. It's... surprisingly good, IMO. It starts with Remember the human.

Use old reddit, it's much more readable. More like a forum and less like facebook. You get to it by replacing

www.reddit.com/r/fencing

with

old.reddit.com/r/fencing

then bookmark that. It really is better.

* Monitor your time. The front page of reddit is addictive. You can lose hours.

I'm sorry to see the fnet forums go, but perhaps if all the fencing discussion on the web is in one place we'll get more of a sense of community out of it. One can hope, anyway.

See you all on the other side.

DangerMouse and Stormbringer like this.
  8. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Which VPN do you use?

9. K O'N

K O'N Podium

CyberGhost. I don't think there's a huge difference in VPNs, honestly, unless you're torrenting or something. $3 a month is fine with me for something like this.

I read something that said the free Chrome VPN plugin is a bad idea, for whatever that's worth. You can google it for more details if you care.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    beagle likes this.
  10. Quinn

Quinn Made the Cut

Really sad to see this place shut down. Big thanks to everyone who made it possible. F

CBS likes this.
  11. Mihail

Mihail Podium

The nice things about online forums is that they were a place for L O U D and quiet people to converse on equal footing. One post is one post, all in chronological order. On social media, due to likes and visibility algorithms, you get the very similar divide between extroverts and introverts (for lack of a better term) that you get in the physical world. And that's ok, of course, since the physical world is nice. :) But it was nice to have an alternative for those that enjoy conversation but don't necessarily enjoy trading in the currency of attention (which is probably why forums didn't retain enough attention to survive :p).

Thanks to Craig and Mitchell and the community!

12. abouttothunder

abouttothunder Made the Cut

Drat.

Hopefully reddit will fill the gap. I've avoided most social media for some time now, and this has been my last (tenuous) cyber connection to the fencing community at large.

Thank you, Mitchell, for keeping it going for a bit.

jkormann and tbryan like this.
  13. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

Damn. That really IS disappointing news.

I was a mod on a major audio forum that we had to close. So I understand the issues.
    But I still prefer online fora as a means to develop community within special interest groups.

Reddit is fine, but not the same.

tbryan likes this.
  14. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Don't suppose there's any way for the forum to be spun off as a separate site?

15. tbryan

tbryan Podium

MItchell, thanks to you (and Craig!) for all of the hard work and for keeping the forums running for the past 20 years. It certainly has helped me to connect with the larger fencing community during my time here. As with all forums, there was a fair amount of silliness, but I've also learned a lot from hanging out here. Now, if I could just figure out which shoes to wear for fencing.... ;)

That's probably true. My preference for online communities has always been for these types of specific web forums instead of using a community on a more generic platform, like Reddit or Facebook. But I guess technologies (and the people who use them) move on.

In any case, thanks for keeping the forum content online: I still have threads here to which I refer from time to time.

16. pillow

pillow Podium

Thanks for all your good work. I didn't realize that hosting a forum would require much money; it's surely been more a labor of love than a way to profit. I suspect the legal issues you allude to are the real culprit.

Reddit isn't designed for us, so I don't plan to participate. I can only hope that someone will take over F.net from you.

17. pacer

pacer Made the Cut

I've learned a lot from the forums and had more than a share of laughs. I'll miss y'all.

18. neevel

neevel Armorer

Some of us very old hands originally migrated here from the rec.sport.fencing Usenet group. Reddit is in many ways a spiritual successor to Usenet, but with the infrastructural underpinnings to handle the spamming that led to the demise of Usenet as a viable venue for discussion.

erik_blank likes this.
  19. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

But....but....how will Inq and I keep track of our post counts?? (says the 2nd biggest mouth on the forum)

20. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I'm sure you will make do.
    <3