Foil Screw Grabber

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by twisterfencing, Sep 11, 2017.

1. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Guys - Gals

We have introduced a new tool to our web site that some Armorer's are going to say *what*?

We have used this tool for years, yet the mfg has always made it in very limited quantities in the past.

Here is the outline:
    You have a foil that is wired with the FWF - Allstar - Uhlmann (standard German) style point. The one that the screws look like bat wings.
    You smash the heck out of the screws that make it impossible to remove it. Now its time to replace the weight spring and your stuck trying to get it out.

Solution:
    Use these pliers on the side of the screw and twist it out. Done!
    The pliers have sharp extended wings that grab the screw easily and they just twist out.
    Legal stuff: they don't work on epee's, Belgian points, French Points or any other hybrid point that the screws do not stick out to grab on to it.

Here is the link to them: Click Here

My personal comments:
    I have used this tool for years for that "Hey Gary, can you get this screw out for me" kind of moment. The guys call it the *secret* tool. It's made us hero's for years.
    Now that I have worked out a deal with the Mfg to have them on hand when we need them, I feel a lot more comfortable offering them to the fencing public.
    Armorer's: I know all of us have our own ways of doing this procedure, this is just an extra way of *getting it done*. Always looking for ideas to either make it easier or better! Keep fencing moving!

Gary Spruill

2. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeah....Dan showed me one of those a few months ago....found one on line and have definitely used it...a lifesaver at times!

3. twisterfencing

twisterfencing Podium

Daddy Dan showed it to me I want to say 20 years ago. Used it ever since.

4. neevel

neevel Armorer

In addition to those pliers, I've also had success with these mini screw extractors. It's not guaranteed that they'll work, but they will have a chance if the screw is completely sheared off or mashed flat, and they can get at damaged epee screws.