Foil ROW and Point-in-Line

Discussion in 'Rules and Referee Questions' started by SirNug, Nov 23, 2017.

1. dberke

dberke Podium

I think the line "threatening valid target" is going to always be true as long as it is pointed at the opponent (as opposed to pointing your straight arm at the ceiling, referee, audience, etc.)

If I establish a valid point in line, then you attack onto it, and my line hits off-target, does that invalidate the line because it wasn't threatening valid target (since it hit off-target)? I don't think any referee is going to award that touch to the attacker if they agree the line was established but since it hit off-target, it's invalid.

Dan

jdude97 likes this.
  2. Hallo

Hallo Rookie

pardon me for my $0.02, but wouldn't that be FoR's attack b/c FoL was in prep?

3. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

No. FoR's attack did not start before the beginning of FoL's final action. It just started before the end of it. That is a counterattack.

4. Nakita

Nakita Made the Cut

Change and start fencing Epee.

5. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

This is not the place for that sort of comment. This forum is for discussing rules and questions related to refereeing.

6. Nakita

Nakita Made the Cut

Foil fencing question. If the fencer on the right is doing a steady advance at the fencer on the left,
    Then stops and pulls her 1/2 way extended arm back, her elbow against her waist, wrist coming back even with her body,
    Then the fencer on the left steps or short lunges to attack,
    The right fencer steps forward and re-extends her arm,
    There are two lights.
    Does the fencer on the left or fencer on the right have the right of way?

7. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Point to Left, providing their arm doesn't withdraw during the attack.
    Right lost RoW when they pulled their arm back*.

*as I've had it explained to me more than once...

8. keropie

keropie Podium

No video, no real answer. If left 'attacks' while right is withdrawing the arm, probably left. If left attacks immediately after right withdraws and both finish immediately, possibly left. If right withdraws, then restarts before left, probably right.

Truthfully these descriptions rarely have sufficient information to convey the nuance necessary to make a reasonable call.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  9. jkormann

jkormann Podium

I read / describe these things in phrase-per-sentence. If both are doing something at the same time, it's in the same sentence. But your comment is well taken, video helps a lot.

10. keropie

keropie Podium

The difficulty I find is that too often the writer breaks up actions differently than a viewer might. I've seen most of these threads originate in 'this was called wrong against me, please prove me right.'

If we take the above description at face value, the parts that matter are FotR stops, left attacks. But had we seen the action, we might think FotR slows down, FotL counterattacks, FotR finishes.

Edited: evidently I can't spell today.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    jdude97 and InFerrumVeritas like this.