Foil recommendations

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by quench, Jun 3, 2019.

1. quench

quench Rookie

Hi all, our daughter is an average-size 7 years old and has been learning foil for a couple months. Her coach recommends that we buy a foil with french grip for her to start with. However, we are not sure which brands and options to pick. Could someone help with the following questions?
    1. Which brands are the best fit for kids in this age? We found that Absolute Fencing and Blue Gauntlet both have size 0 foils, but we are not sure which one is better and whether there are other brands.
    2. French grip, foil guard, and foil pad each have a couple options:
    2.1 French grip can be upgraded to leather. Is this a good option for young kids? Absolute Fencing also has a "AF Signature Series" option. Does anyone know whether it is a better fit than the "AF Leather" option? The link is:
    https://www.absolutefencinggear.com/shopping/product_info.php/products_id/174/cPath/24
    2.2 Foil guard has a lot of variations (e.g., see the above link). We are just baffled by the amount of options. Should we just pick a light one (e.g., AF Aluminum Light) or a most expensive one (e.g., Vniti One-Piece Extra Strong)?
    2.3 Foil pad also has a lot of variations (again, see the above link). The AF foil has Plastic, Heavy Felt, Leather, and Transparent. Does it make a real difference which option we pick? Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help. Any input is greatly appreciated!

2. dcchew

dcchew Podium

For a beginner fencing "dry" (i.e. non-electric) fencing, pretty much any combination of equipment will be more than adequate for your daughter. I'd start with a standard rubber grip with the standard aluminum guard. Both Absolute or Blue Gauntlet can provide you with the same quality of components.

If you daughter decides to start fencing with electric equipment, then the fun starts with picking the equipment she'll need to compete with.

3. wwittman

wwittman DE Bracket

I would also ask her coach if he has a preference or recommendation for blade length for his child beginners.
    Some fencing Masters feel strongly about that.

4. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

If the kid is 7, it'll be a 0 or a 2....a 4 or 5 will be difficult to handle easily.

5. Privateer

Privateer Podium

1. Which brands are the best fit for kids in this age? We found that Absolute Fencing and Blue Gauntlet both have size 0 foils, but we are not sure which one is better and whether there are other brands.

At this age and skill level either is fine.

2. French grip, foil guard, and foil pad each have a couple options:
    2.1 French grip can be upgraded to leather. Is this a good option for young kids? Absolute Fencing also has a "AF Signature Series" option. Does anyone know whether it is a better fit than the "AF Leather" option? The link is:
    https://www.absolutefencinggear.com/shopping/product_info.php/products_id/174/cPath/24

don't bother. the rubber grip is fine. it's easily replaced or upgraded later if she ever manages to wear it out.

2.2 Foil guard has a lot of variations (e.g., see the above link). We are just baffled by the amount of options. Should we just pick a light one (e.g., AF Aluminum Light) or a most expensive one (e.g., Vniti One-Piece Extra Strong)?

I feel like the rolled edge guards are stronger, but for a 7 year old I'd be looking for the lightest one.

2.3 Foil pad also has a lot of variations (again, see the above link). The AF foil has Plastic, Heavy Felt, Leather, and Transparent. Does it make a real difference which option we pick? Any suggestions?

I feel like the plastic ones last the longest. I like the transparent ones so i can write my name on the inside of the guard and easily spot it. Again, these are easily swapped out later. Felt falls apart, leather ones are unnecessary.

strongly suggest looking for one of the starter kits from either of those retailers. jacket, plastron, knickers, weapon, mask, glove, weapon, sometimes a bag. usually save a few bucks over buying separately. at 7 years old, you'll be buying new gear pretty often. they'll grow out of it before it wears out.