Foil Mask in Epee

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by jjefferies, May 4, 2019.

1. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

What are the issues with fencing epee with a foil mask? Can it affect scoring?
    Background is simple: My daily use club mask (FIE) has finally worn the inner cloth material such that it irritates me to use it even though I'm reasonably sure it's safe. My usual mode is to keep a good quality FIE mask for tournaments and when my club mask goes bad replace it with my tournament mask and buy a new tournament mask. I'm not happy with the current versions of the new FIE masks and have been slowly checking which one I will replace my current tournament mask with. In the meantime I do have a used once non-FIE foil mask which I could use for daily club use until I settle on a good replacement for my tournament mask. I haven't fenced foil in several years and don't anticipate doing so anytime in the near future. Hence my question. The foil mask is an Absolute fencing mask and it is possible that I could remove the conductive bib if it were necessary. But that might make a bigger mess than desirable so why not use it as is?
    thanks for your consideration and advice
    j.

2. mfp

mfp Podium

Yes, the conductive lame material on a foil mask can affect scoring in epee. On Favero boxes for example, hits to the bib will ground out / not score if the conductive bib material is in contact with the barrel at the same time the hit is made. This is very easy to reproduce and very annoying.

3. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Basic epee mask @~$50 or residual glue marks on practice mask bib?

4. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Made the Cut

Glue and sew some old white material over the bib?
    Paint it with white fabric paint?

5. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Thanks for the info. I sewed a cloth covering over the conductive portion of the bib. That should be adequate for club play as I look at the various options for a new FIE mask. I just keep thinking about the plastic see-thru saber masks and would like to wait until we have a final final version of the new FIE mandates.

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

LP X-Change with differing bibs.

7. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Even if you only fence epee, being able to wash the bib is worth it.

8. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Not so sure. I mean, if your mask reeks so much your opponent's eyes start watering, that's a tactical advantage....

9. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

The requirement for conductive bibs for foil has been around long enough now (and unlike visor masks, was never mired in controversy) that it's unlikely the FIE is going to reverse itself.

10. jjefferies

jjefferies Podium

Sorry, misunderstanding. Reference was for the new standard and system for holding masks on your head. The new systems are somewhat uncomfortable and the means of attaching to the mask may be in a state of flux. That's one interpretation.

11. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

That's a separate question - one which has made me hold off on buying any new masks for the moment as well.

12. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

Huh?o_O