Flicking Fencing Issues with NEPS?

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by rarveras, Nov 27, 2018.

1. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

Hi there to everyone,

i was recently promoting NEPS through FB and Instagram when some one commented this:

" ..If you Flick, don't use this screws.."

when I designed NEPS, one of their main features of them was to obtain a more firm attachement which prevented them against screws jumping off from the tip or even getting smashed against it, was .

Has any one experienced any issue or has any feedback on this subject ?

Thanks in advance

Ricardo Arveras

2. jkormann

jkormann Podium

Depends on the barrel, but I've noticed that NEPS are thinner than the barrel's screw-slot, causing the point to twist a little. And if the NEPS screw-slot is not parallel to the barrel's slot, I've experienced some 'grab' by the NEPS within the barrel's screw-slot. A quick rub with sandpaper fixes that.

Did you ask them why the said this, what their experience has been to make this comment?

3. Allen Evans

Allen Evans Podium

I've seen no issues either way.

4. rarveras

rarveras Made the Cut

"..the barrels were what ever came with BF white blades.."
    the comment was " ..i used the screw not so long ago, it is a pretty ingenious design. But during practice I noticd that the double sided thread ( the one sliding on the grooves), so the tip was nor depressing smoothly. I had to use a diamond drill to smooth it over on one blade. finally. On the other blade I just changed my barrel. .."

5. K O'N

K O'N Podium

Some barrels (I want to say FWF, but I'm not certain) have slots that are a tiny bit narrow. The NEPS can catch in them a bit. I take a jeweler's file and swipe it through the slot a few times and it's fine.

I've read reports of the NEPS collar kind of chewing up the slots of the barrel, but I can't see it on any of my club epees. I have probably 20 epees in rotation, 4 or 5 have the last of my zip tips in them, the rest are regular tips with NEPS in whatever kind of barrel I had on hand. No chewed up slots at all, even under magnification, even after years of use. I can't explain why some people re seeing this and I'm not, but I'm sure not.

6. piste off

piste off Podium

I'm pretty brutal with tips and fence with bunch of animals. My stuff gets worked hard.

NEPS are the greatest advancement in epee gear, ever. They hold up well and rarely come out. And for this old dude, easy to install.

damianip and NKFA like this.
  7. pinbot

pinbot Made the Cut

They are indeed great. I think the FWF master tip ends up being about a tie for ease of use. It's more fuss in the setup stage (at least that's been my experience because the built in contact spring depth guide doesn't seem to save me from having to open and close several times to get it right) but then smooth sailing with no screws to worry about.