Flexibility of Non-FIE Absolute Foils and Epees

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Felix Zhao, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Felix Zhao

Felix Zhao Rookie

Hi everyone! I'm wondering which non-FIE Absolute Fencing house brand foils and epees are the most flexible. Thanks!

2. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

They aren’t very consistent, so there really isn’t a “order this for more flexible” option.

3. Felix Zhao

Felix Zhao Rookie

Which non-FIE foils and epee blades that Absolute offers are usually pretty flexible?

4. InFerrumVeritas

The standard blades are often pretty flexible but not very durable.

5. Felix Zhao

Felix Zhao Rookie

I mean flexible as in flicking flexible.

6. Tomas N

Tomas N Podium

My experience with the Absolute non-FIE is that they lasted about 4 practices and then needed to be discarded. Our former club president ordered a bunch of them. They were truly awful blades. They took a bad bend almost immediately. Some started bending sideways soon thereafter. On top of that, the tips were truly awful. I salvaged the grips and the bellguards, but other than that, there was nothing redeemable. I advise you to spend your money elsewhere.

7. InFerrumVeritas

If you’re looking for a more flexible blade to make flicking easier, you’re wasting your time a bit. Building forearm strength and using proper technique (it doesn’t need a lot of strength or a particularly flexible blade) lets you enjoy the advantages of a stiff blade (better point control) and still flick well. In fact, I think it makes flicking easier when done properly as your point has a more consistent starting location when the flick accelerates.

DangerMouse likes this.
  8. Zebra

Zebra Podium

I don't know about that. The epee blade I had that took a cringe-inducing bend about 6 inches from the tip and then didn't break for almost a year despite it being my designated blade for fencing Jersey high-schoolers was an Absolute Gold.

9. erik_blank

erik_blank Podium

I have to say that the Absolute standard foil blades that I have used often last more than 1-2 seasons. Perhaps it is because I don't get to compete that often, but I am using them consistently to teach and drill with all year. One thing that I DO notice about them is that the chamfered edges seem to get changed over the course of the blades life and end up being pretty sharp for some reason. I have carefully checked each blade that I received and each was nicely smooth on the edges when I mount the blades, but after a month or more, I will notice that the edge of the blades become sharp...