Flecheing confusion

Discussion in 'Fencing Discussion' started by Mr. Wizard, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Rookie

Does anybody know why flecheing is banned in sabre? and if its for right-of-way rules, why isnt it banned in foil as well?

2. seven6ty

seven6ty Rookie

Because saber was moving too quickly, and only in one direction. It looks much better now. :rolleyes:

3. PatrickPFC

PatrickPFC Rookie

I was under the impression that flecheing wasn't banned in saber, but crossing your back foot in front of your front foot. As long as the touch is scored before the crossing of the feet i thought you were ok, am i wrong?

4. seven6ty

seven6ty Rookie

Technically, yes. I don't see many people fleche without crossing their feet though.

5. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Rookie

actually i think you are right. this might be a mix-up of terms on my part, because i refer to whenever your back foot crosses over your front foot as flecheing, srry

6. catwood1

catwood1 Podium

You cannot let the entirety of your back foot pass the entirety of your front foot in an offensive action.

7. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Podium

Same reason crazy people have to wear straight-jackets and normal people don't.

8. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

Yes, you're wrong. See t.75(b)(3): "The flèche and any forward movement in which the rear foot completely passes the front foot is forbidden." Note that in a well-executed flèche, the back foot only crosses after the touch is landed. You are not allowed to score when the same action that lands the touch results in the crossover.

You *can* do an action very similar to a flèche, but ensure that you land on the front foot and *then* cross in a second step. I'm hearing this footwork being called a "sabre flèche" these days.

9. catwood1

catwood1 Podium

HURRAY FLUNGING!

10. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Mainly due to the fact that with electric sabre it became a game of who ran forward first and there was almost no room for defense.

Craig

11. Nolano

Nolano Rookie

Ah yes. Muuuuuch different than now:rolleyes:

12. RITFencing

RITFencing Rookie

In general, I agree that this is the idea, however I think it is not so much the back foot landing as the end of the initial acceleration; it's just that in most fleches, that acceleration is done around the time the back foot lands.

13. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

Yes

14. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Disagree there....watch the 84 Olympics and you hear/see 2 things...

1) One fencer running hell-bent-for-leather down the strip...the other retreating just as fast.

and

2) Peter Bouchard calling out "Halt....2 meters" when they reached the box so many times he started running out of ways to say it.

The ability to fleche in sabre made it a train wreck...removing the crossover (and thus, the fleche) at LEAST forced people to TRY to slap steel.

If the blades could be made afforadbly that could isolate the edge, you'd see more blade actions, especially in mens sabre at the top levels....the ladies actually fence more (because a lot of the older sabeurs in Athens were transplanted from foil...so they kept doing foil actions, and foil actions were needed to counter them...)

15. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

I see fewer blade actions in WS and much more intense tempo games. I may not have a strong handle on the whole of sabre, but that's definitely the impression I get.

16. seven6ty

seven6ty Rookie

Eh, not necessarily. I've heard that the touch should land as your back foot hits the ground... But not crossing. I think anyone trying to hit before their back foot passes their front will land up on their face. Even using the example of hitting as your back foot hits the ground, I don't necessarily believe in, as it requires quite a long first step, and I think that you'll have much better balance and control, if you use a series of short, quick steps in your flesche, requiring your feet to hit the ground slightly sooner than the first example I pointed out.

17. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

I think there are more in womens than mens, but the 2 may be getting closer...at least that's what I see.

18. edew

edew Podium

Except it wasn't hell-bent. It was a casual jog, which the opponent did a casual backpedal jog. It made the whole thing even more egregiously pathetic.

19. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Moderator

Video plz?

20. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

More specifically, the rule book used to say that in a simple attack with flèche, to be considered correct, the touch must arrive no later than the back foot hitting the ground. But that is the bare minimum for "correctness". To be a *good* fleche, it ought to hit before the back foot crosses.

I think you must not have seen any good fleches.

Now you've completely lost me, as a flèche doesn't consist of a "series" of steps at all. A flèche is a simple footwork action consisting of a launch and a landing. Everything else is either preparation or follow-through.