Fixing Favero Scoring Machine

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by Stence, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Stence

Stence Rookie

So I've got this older scoring machine, fairly certain an ARM -01, and I think the thing has been...tampered with by previous armorer at the club. It used to be a permanent overhead machine so the piste and floor cords were hard wired into the machine with these terminal things sticking out of the board, where I have one socket now. (I think he added these because I didn't see them on the new ARM-05 machine and I don't see another way to replace the ends but I could be totally wrong)

I am not an electrician and I don't fully understand how the whole circuitry, I know enough to make all the parts I need and not plug the thing in without grounding, my problem is the terminals. I did a brief scan through the instructions but didn't see anything, might've missed it though.

One of the terminals, the one for electrical ground (I think that's what it is, the one next to it is 12V and the problem one is 0) is missing a screw so I can't tighten the line/wire down into it. I don't want to try to solder it in because I might melt the terminal and I don't think I can take the screws from other terminals out, they seem to be locked in. This machine will probably never attach to a piste again so if I can get the screw out in theory I could move the screw from that terminal to ground(?) but not sure if I can do that

Anyone have any advice on removing a screw, replacing it, or soldering the wire in? Or any advise in general I'm feeling a bit lost.

Attached Files:

2. bobb121

bobb121 DE Bracket

you might have to contact favero to get the part or a vendor to get it working properly. There is a tshooting guide but I do not have access to it at the moment as I am at work.

3. Fairfield_Fencing_Armory

Fairfield_Fencing_Armory Rookie

Could you get a slightly larger set screw and tap it into the current hole? It looks like the plastic will accept a larger screw and the channel looks strong enough.

4. ktinoue3

ktinoue3 Rookie

Is there a electronic supply store near you? I would desolder the connector from the board and see if you can find a replacement that would fit. They tend to be fairly standard in size.

5. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Check out this Favero PCB repair

Privateer and Mac A. Bee like this.
  6. dcchew

dcchew Podium

Your other alternative is to send your Favero to Ted Li.

7. andy.collins

andy.collins Rookie

Stence:
    The screw terminals are normal on the FA-01s, and, no, the FA-05s do not have them. There should be a metal cage in the "business" end of it; if that's still there, then it might be possible to extract the screw from the "chron" terminal and move it over. They are supposed to be captive, but, obviously, that's not entirely perfect. I would avoid trying to tap it to a larger size: it's not meant to be a set-screw in that sense.

Favero could probably tell you what size screw is used in the terminal. If I had to guess, I'd guess M2 or M3. But, again, that will only work if the cage part is still there.

It's been a while since I've poked around in one of these, so if someone could confirm that would be great. But IIRC, the header pins next to the terminals are a duplicate set of connections, and that's where the base for table-top operation would normally attach with a ribbon cable. Especially if your goal is to use this box in a portable configuration, that's the way I would approach it.

Andy

8. andy.collins

andy.collins Rookie

And if you do want to replace the terminal, the video dcchew posted seems like pretty good instructions. 5.08mm spacing is the same as 0.2in, which is more likely how you'll see it spec'd in the US. And I wouldn't fret over his obsession with 99% rubbing alcohol; the regular stuff ought to be just fine.

Andy

9. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

Are you of legal age, and can you buy your armorer a bottle of his/her preferred tipple? If so, you don't need to understand the circuitry.

10. Zebra

Zebra DE Bracket

Interesting. The pins are labeled 1, 2, 3 on the PC board and not A, B, C.

11. andy.collins

andy.collins Rookie

Just as well, since Favero generally uses A, B, C in the other order.

Andy

12. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

If you don't already have a copy then you may want to download Favero's owner's manual for the FA-01 (and maybe also the FA-05). The new version doesn't look to be as comprehensive as the old one was, but still addresses the connections for the wall-mounted vs table mounted models.

It is available for download on Favero's website - clock on "Full-Arm-01 User Manual" (on the right side of the page).

13. neevel

neevel Armorer

Also, the folks at Favero are generally very responsive to technical/repair questions sent by e-mail (they do know English), and are good about making replacement parts available for sale.