First FIE equipment

Discussion in 'Armory - Q&A' started by marcoshuck, Nov 20, 2018.

1. marcoshuck

marcoshuck Rookie

Hi there!

My name is Marcos, and I'm from Argentina. Btw first post!

Here is my situation: I have saved some money (U$S 350 approx). I want to make a good investment, and buying my first FIE gear seems an excellent option.
    Anyway, I have received recommendations about one equipment (Eurofencing), if I have to be honest though, I don't what gear should I pick. I have been looking for reviews in this forum, but I think I need more help than that.

I have a friend that is travelling to Italy (Sapienza University), so I want the equipment to be sent to his hotel.

These are the options that I have right now:
    • Eurofencing FIE Competition single layer full-stretch U$S353 + Shipping (I don't know how much exactly)
    • Leon Paul FIE Team U$S352 (Shipping included from UK)
    • Negrini Evolution U$S 380 + Shipping
    • PBT FIE StretchFit U$S 259 + Shipping
    I prefer the Eurofencing because I like how it looks (like attached to the body), but I have never seen a Leon Paul FIE neither Negrini Evolution so I don't know how to compare to it. I have seen the Startex, I don't like it, but it's still an option. Any help would be so much appreciated.

Thank you!

Greetings.

Marcos.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. Mac A. Bee

Mac A. Bee is a Verified Fencing ExpertMac A. Bee Podium

If you are a new fencer or if your fencing federation does not require 500 Newton clothing, consider the much cheaper 350 Newton clothing manufactured by USA's Blue Gauntlet or Absolute Fencing. If you are still growing, the cheaper clothing makes sense as well, because you will soon replace it with bigger sizes.

marcoshuck likes this.
  3. marcoshuck

marcoshuck Rookie

Hi Mac A. Bee, thanks for your answer. I forgot those details, I'm sorry.

I'm 23 years old, and I have been fencing since 2015. I already have a 350N uniform, but I would like to buy a new one.

Btw I have added another option, PBT StretchFit!

4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

I have not used all of those brands, but here's my experience:

The Leon Paul Team equipment is well made, but very thick and heavy.
    I haven't used the PBT Stretch Fit, but I have the Superlight. From the description, it sounds like the Stretch Fit is very similar to the Leon Paul Team.
    If you can actually get the Allstar Startex for that price and it is not the Athens model, then that is a great deal and probably your best option.
    The high end Negrini uniforms are great, but I have not looked at the evolution.
    I have no experience with the Eurofencing equipment

marcoshuck likes this.
  5. marcoshuck

marcoshuck Rookie

Thanks Dangerouse for your review!!, I made a mistake with the Allstar, it was only the jacket, sorry for that.
    Right now I have an equipment that's is very thick, I would love to have a thin one.

6. neevel

neevel Armorer

One thing to keep in mind is that, although shipping from Europe to Argentina will be more costly, the price you pay up front if you order from Argentina and have it shipped to Argentina should be without VAT since it is leaving the EU, which will reduce the cost significantly. While is is possible to get VAT refunded when the gear leaves the EU with your friend, it's much simpler to never have been charged it in the first place. Once you've decided what you want, check with the vendor about how they handle VAT for outside-EU orders and what shipping costs are to see which approach gives you the best deal.

marcoshuck likes this.
  7. neevel

neevel Armorer

BTW, I have a LP Team uniform- it is well made and durable (held up over about 7 years of 4-5 times per week use), but thick and relatively stiff. I got a LP Apex last year because I wanted something lighter and more flexible.

marcoshuck likes this.
  8. marcoshuck

marcoshuck Rookie

Hi neevel, thanks for your answer. Argentina doesn't allow you to spend more than $200 USD on any imported purchase, also you have to pay 35% of the product in terms of import fee.

I don't want to buy at the local store, because I have to pay the price of the product + 21% VAT + 10.5% GIT + 35% Import + Store profit. INSANE.

Our situation is hopeless, I know, that's why I'm asking this friend of mine to bring the gear, because you don't have to pay taxes for clothes when you're coming back from travelling abroad.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  9. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

If you want a thin uniform, you will probably need more money. The one option that might be thin and inexpensive is Cartel, which appears to now be rebranded Planete Escrime. I bought my Cartel uniform in 2004 and it has held up well. It is really thin and light, but it does not stretch and it is not cut to fit very well. But it was very inexpensive for an FIE uniform.

InFerrumVeritas and marcoshuck like this.
  10. marcoshuck

marcoshuck Rookie

Well, the EuroFencing is pretty thin I guess. Here you have the link.

11. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

You can't tell how thick or thin a uniform is from the website selling it and a picture. You really need to see it in person or talk to people who have experience with it.

12. piste off

piste off Podium

Look into the Leon Paul Apex. Great overall, and I've used the new Allstar (not the old model) and Negrini (their top of the line, which I previously thought was great but it really is not flexible and is heavy). I use Carmimari for comps, which is very light, but not nearly as durable as the Apex and I find the Apex to be the best across the board.

K O'N and DangerMouse like this.
  13. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

14. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

A little thread drift, but I'm probably looking for a new uniform in the next year since I'm 20 pounds heavier than when I was last fencing regularly. What issues have you had with the Carmimari? Have you ever compared either the Carmimari or LP Apex to the PBT SuperLight?

15. InFerrumVeritas

I've never used Carmimari, but I have compared the LP Apex and PBT Superlight. The Apex is a bit lighter, but the selling point for me are little details. I love the raglan sleeve, the tap on the braces that keeps them together in the back (and thus on my shoulders), the cut. It is a uniform that when I put it on felt perfect.

DangerMouse likes this.
  16. mfp

mfp Podium

You haven't mentioned which weapon(s) you fence. If you fence epee, be aware that one downside to a thin jacket can be more bruising and scratches to your weapon arm.

posineg likes this.
  17. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! I have an older PBT SuperLight, which is great, but if the LP Apex is a bit lighter then I'm definitely interested when I get the money to replace my Cartel/LP Team uniform that makes me look like an sausage about to burst.

18. piste off

piste off Podium

The issue with Carmimari (other than actually getting it, which is NOT trivial) is the durability. I only use mine for comps, but those who use it for everyday practice (including some sponsored athletes) claim they don't hold up. It depends on how tough you are on it, how often you wash it etc.

The Apex is the opposite. I wash it after every use, and it has help up strong for a few years of hard use. Some discoloring, but through no fault of it - more my sweat and the inevitable dirt that accumulates despite washing. It is a tank though IMO.

I like it better than the Superlight as it is more pliable, breathable and to me lighter.

InFerrumVeritas and DangerMouse like this.
  19. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Podium

Thanks! I'm sold on the Apex. I've emailed a sizing question to LP, but since you're here... do you find that the waist of the Apex knickers stretches significantly? I'm right on the edge between sizes and trying to decide if I should size up or down.

20. InFerrumVeritas

I was also between sizes. I went with the smaller size because I didn't want baggy legs. It fit exactly as I wanted it to. There's a good deal of stretch. If I'm feeling bloated, or coming off of a break (and thus a bit larger), they still fit without feeling like I'm straining them.

This was not the case with Absolute knickers.

DangerMouse likes this.