First fencing competition?

Discussion in 'New to Fencing' started by daniela, Feb 23, 2018.

1. daniela

daniela Rookie

Hello.
    I started fencing five months ago. I fence epee.
    I consider myself lucky ‘cause one of my trainers is an Olympic athlete and many of my mates there are really good and take part in international competitions.
    I’ve been asked to take part in a competition and I said yes as I’m a former gymnast and I used to be at a competitive level so I like to compete.
    The competition will be held in two days.
    It’s a national competition and “will be a high level competition”.
    I know that I have no chance to win already. Of course I’ll do my best.
    I feel like I already won something cause I’m the first epeeist taking part in such a competition of my club. I’m super happy they consider me worth it or something.
    But now that’s so close I’m getting nervous as it’s my first fencing competition and I’ve never even went and saw a competition with my own eyes. I literally don’t know how it works.
    Any advice?

2. Goldgar

Goldgar Podium

Get your coach or clubmates to explain the structure and procedures of the competition so you know what to expect.

Be where you're supposed to be, when you're expected to be there.

Don't worry about being nervous. It's natural.

3. saberist

saberist Rookie

How did it go? By the way is this your first competition ever in fencing? Depending on your region, there may be many small local tournaments you can compete to build up your skill and confidence as well as strip experience and protocol. Jumping straight into a national tournament might be a bit overwhelming for a beginner.

4. daniela

daniela Rookie

It was my first competition!
    At the end I arrived 250 out of 268 lol. I expected it. I was a bit unlucky ‘cause I found myself against last year’s nation champion for my age category.
    I didn’t give it my all cause I knew I didn’t have a chance anyway, that made my coach a bit disappointed, but he knew I felt intimidated by other fencers who have been competing for many years. He said I was too “passive.” I saw a video they took of me and I look scared indeed hah.
    But I got many “you’ll get really good, where do you train?” from many coaches out there, so I’m pretty satisfied!
    I’ll probably have a regional competition in a couple of months and another national one in may or something.

5. Zebra

Zebra Podium

I can top that: I fenced a world champion in my first tournament! Even had a lead (but it didn't last long...).
    One of the best things about our sport is the chance to meet and fence with (or ref) champions and to count them among your friends.

6. Purple Fencer

Purple Fencer Podium

Yeah....I tell beginners that they could never expect to enter a gold tourney and expect to get paired with a Phil Mickelson. But in fencing?? You can easily get in a pool with someone with significant international experience or even an Olympic medalist.

Can you imagine being a collegiate freshman beginning sabeur, going against Notre Dame and find that Mariel Zagunis is in your pool....and did I mention this would be the 2004-05 school year??

7. saberist

saberist Rookie

As you may already know, the pool round is made up of the highest rank fencer mixed with the lowest. Seems you were eliminated after the pool, but that's ok. This was your very first competition and it would be a very good experience for you. Even if you weren't eliminated out of the pools, the very next or the second to the next DE fencer would have been likely the top 5 seeded person anyway. When we first started fencing we thought that was so very unfair, but now it all makes sense. Anyway, keep having fun. Remember to fence in a lot of the smaller regional tournaments to build up more experience as well as confidence. Once you start kicking a lot of buts, then I would start venturing out to national tournaments. Good luck