First fencing class tomorrow evening... Will there ever be new fencing styles added?

Discussion in 'New to Fencing' started by Гетьман Маттіас, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Гетьман Маттіас

Гетьман Маттіас Rookie

Hi everyone,
    I have my first fencing class tomorrow evening with my local fencing club (Tidewater Fencing Club). What should I expect?

My brother bought a foil a while ago, but never took up fencing. My experience comes down to reading, watching videos of experts, and waving my brother's foil around a few times. So in other words, not experience, but I have an interest. Unfortunately, none of the coaches appear to focus on sabre, but I don't see it as much of a problem because I am starting with beginner foil 1 and then beginner foil 2, and intermediate foil. Most if not all the coaches seem to have significant experience in all three blades which is good. I would like to be familiar with all of them, but my Ukrainian heritage kind of draws me to the sabre (although from what I understand the modern fencing sabre is based on a different kind of sabre not exactly the same as the type of sabre used by Ukrainian cossacks. I also have liked the videos of sabre competitions best. That being said, I may find I enjoy the foil or epee better. Time will tell. And to clarify, I am aware of the difference between historical sword fighting and modern fencing. I would love to regularly practice fencing and then study historically accurate sword fighting used by Ukrainian cossacks along with my studies of Ukrainian history and culture. Not the same thing, but I find them complementary. Fencing is my sport, but I am passionate about Ukraine so as a fencer I looked into cossack martial arts (historical rather than revisionist). I do occasionally wear a вишива́нка (vyshyvanka, traditional Ukrainian embroidered shirt) as do many Ukrainians today. Still working on learning the language though.

I am curious, could there ever be new fencing styles added such as dual sabre, but still keeping in line with competitive fencing rather than HEMA?

2. keropie

keropie Podium

It is very unlikely without significant changes to the goals as a sport.

Currently, the FIE primarily works to keep fencing relevent and included in the Olympics. The Olympics will not add additional medals/events for fencing, so unless one of the the existing weapons is removed, I don't see a new one being added.

3. Гетьман Маттіас

Гетьман Маттіас Rookie

Fair enough.

My first fencing class was great. We learned advance, retreat, en garde, and lunge. Plenty of stuff to practice during the week. It reminded me of ballroom dance (took a semester at the community college with my sister before she left to college), but fencing is better because it involves weapons.

Privateer likes this.
  4. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

There have been efforts by individuals and groups of individuals to create fencing with weapons in both hands, with more than two fencers at once, in the round rather than on long rectangular pistes, and so on. All just a matter of how do you connect the wires and make them work with a scoring apparatus, and perhaps of making fencing "daggers" which are not so stiff as to be dangerous. With the advent of affordable wireless units to replace the reels this may become even easier.

See http://daggerfencing.com/

If you do not feel the need for electrical scoring there is of course SCA rapier fencing, where multiple weapons are commonly used---usually 2 swords or sword and dagger, but occasionally sword and cape, sword and buckler, two daggers, or whatever. While there are some SCA fencers who try to approximate historical practices and methods, the vast majority of practitioners are quite far removed from anything resembling HEMA. There also used to be a subset of SCA fencing called smallsword, wherein fencers merely used foils or epees instead of the heavier and longer complex-hilted "rapiers".

5. Zebra

Zebra Podium

Wireless would make fencing on ice feasible!

6. Гетьман Маттіас

Гетьман Маттіас Rookie

Very interesting. The HEMA stuff sounds interesting and I'm attending a HEMA class (German Renaissance) this Saturday (it's free). German Renaissance isnot my area of focus, but it sounds interesting. I actually like that they are removed from HEMA. The way I see it, historically, a warrior, soldier etc might engage in boxing, folk wrestling, martial arts sporting competitions in his off time. Its good to know there are people interested in the sport of fencing as well as historical combat and people interested in incorporating new styles. However, I'm new to fencing so I will stick with learning how to fence first, and if I learn some HEMA stuff too then great. Two fun activities to pursue. I find them complementary, but separate although they can overlap if one chooses.

7. Гетьман Маттіас

Гетьман Маттіас Rookie

I've only been ice skating twice, two days in a row at King's Cross mall in Lviv, Ukraine. I was visiting a good friend in Mukacheve and we spent a week in Lviv. We both enjoyed it so much that we went a second time. If we could add fencing to that then it would be almost as good as going ice skating with her.

8. Inquartata

Inquartata Podium

It's all fun and games until someone falls through.

9. Grey Sabreur

Grey Sabreur Made the Cut

Canadians fencing