FIE uniform and glove recommendation

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by I need help, Feb 9, 2018.

1. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

Can someone pls give recommendations for FIE uniforms and gloves

2. fenceart

fenceart Made the Cut

So, I guess you're trying to buy on line and can't be anywhere (NAC) to try things on. I have two FIE jackets, newer ones that is, and I like them both. My Leon Paul Apex jacket (generous surprise from my husband, because it's pretty pricey) is so light you think you are not wearing anything and that goes for the knickers as well. You can really move, and their uniforms and lames are all nicely tailored so they fit well and they are lined with a wicking material. My Absolute "2012 Competition" jacket is a bit heavier, but not as heavy as a regular jacket (frankly I wasn't really aware of the weight till I put on that LP jacket!) but the fabric is smooth and soft and it's really comfortable and well-tailored. FIE jackets aren't inexpensive but of course they are all nicely made and will last.That said, the LP jacket is well over $300, while the Absolute is $189, and it's pretty darn nice. Ultimately, it depends on what feels good and what you're comfortable in. I'll say I like both of these equally well. Do not have Absolute knickers all mine are LP FIE. I wash my uniforms in the machine but hang everything to dry. Gloves, as far as I know, unless you are doing saber, where you must meet the requirements, work as long as there are no holes! Hope this helps....

3. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

Thanks for the wonderful insight. I would check the LP apex range out, since u think that it’s worth buying at it’s high price point

4. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

Next question does anybody own a lightweight lame from allstar, uhlmann, LP, edge, a-bout or tripllete just to name a few.
    Or even a regular non lightweight lame can anyone recommend any brands?

5. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

I have been using an uhlmann lame non lightweight variant and they typically last up to 2 to 3 years. I hang my lame up to dry after use without ever leaving it in my fencing bag

6. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

I don’t think the life span of this lame justifies its price as it isn’t one of the cheapest lames Out there

7. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

I’m looking for a lightweight lame or just any TOP quality lame

8. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

I have been looking at the edge allstar and uhlmann lightweights lame and can’t decide between them I’m looking at the two German Brand’s as they have a good reputation

9. I need help

I need help Made the Cut

Can anyone recommend any lames

10. OROD

OROD Podium

I recommend the Allstar jackets. I've had one of them, the 800N one, and it's great. For lames, either Allstar or Uhlmann are great, just get one of those and you're set. I havent tried the "ultralight" ones. The lame weight isnt a big concern for me.

11. SJCFU#2

SJCFU#2 Podium

Lames pretty much fall into one of three categories:

First there are the copper lames. These are relatively cheap (at least in comparison to the others), and tend to be relatively short-lived, although exactly how long will depend on various factors, including how you take care of it and how corrosive your body chemistry happens to be (some people must sweat concentrated acid because they can destroy and copper lame within a matter of days).

Second, there are inoxidizable metal lames, usually either stainless steel or nickle. These are more expensive than copper lames but will generally last much longer (usually more than enough to justify the increased cost), Once again, how long they will last will depend largely on how it is cared for - while the material itself may resist corrosion it is still subject to wear and stress hardening of the metal fibers. As such the metallic threads tend to break down over time when they are subject to frequent bending in the same place over and over again. Examples of such bending include the inside of the elbow on a saber lame, and also the crease lines if you regularly fold your lame neatly like it was when it first came from the vendor (in other words, once you unpack it don't fold it up neatly again along those same fold lines).

Finally there are non-metallic conductive fiber lames, which is what most of "lightweight" lames are made from. These lames are generally among the top of the line and priced accordingly. They are much lighter in weight and more flexible than any metallic lame, much easier to wash, and will last a long time with proper care, however exposure to the wrong chemicals can kill them in a heartbeat so pay close attention to any laundry instructions.

Also bear in mind that some metalic fabrics are highly abrasive, acting like sandpaper on anything else they come into contact with. This can cause problems where the outer surface of the lame regularly rubs against something else, such as occurs in the area under the arm (where it can wear away at itself on saber lames and at the jacket with foil lames). It can also cause problems with conductive bibs, especially if a metallic fabric is used in conjunction with a non-metallic conductive fabric (such as a metallic lame with a Leon Paul X-change mask with a non-metallic conductive bib - something I only learned about when purchasing a new mask and they asked what type of lame I had).

12. Alex_Paul

Alex_Paul Podium

This is a great post, considered, informative and succinct. Bravo :)

13. Privateer

Privateer Podium

what exactly are these made of?

14. dcchew

dcchew Podium

15. Grey Sabreur

Grey Sabreur Made the Cut

16. EldRick

EldRick Podium

"The material is like wearing a t-shirt."
    Only if your t-shirt is made from a plastic trash bag - the lames do not breathe at all.

17. nwtrout

nwtrout Made the Cut

Prior to a competition a week or so ago, I (5'10 male) stepped on the scale with my Uhlmann Olympia 800 gear (jacket, knickers, plastron). Difference was 5.5 lbs vs without. It's not light but no experience with lighter gear other than noticing my son's Allstar Ecostar kit is is lighter coming out of the wash

18. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I miss Infinity Lames...

EldRick and Inquartata like this.
  19. OrangeandStripey

OrangeandStripey Made the Cut

Go Leon Paul. You will only have to replace lames when they finally go dead and equipment in general when the FIE changes rules. The stuff is all but bulletproof and so ridiculously well manufactured its worth every penny of never having to think about it ever again. It's one of the very rare companies out there that apparently doesn't believe in planned obsolescence.

InFerrumVeritas likes this.
  20. InFerrumVeritas

InFerrumVeritas DE Bracket

I think the same can be said about all of the top tier manufacturers (Allstar, Uhlmann, Negrini, Carminimari, FWF, etc). Where I give Leon Paul the most credit is their ability and willingness to innovate (although I really like Allstar's screwless points).